Germany Advances to Euro 2008 Quarterfinals
Football News - European Championship Football News
Mon, Jun 16th - WSN Staff
(Vienna, Austria) – Despite a courageous effort from its opposition, Germany will advance to the European Championship quarterfinals thanks to a 1-0 victory over the competition’s co-host Austria.
Dubbed by many as “Austria’s Final”, the loss marked the first time in European Championship history that both host countries failed to make the knockout stage of the tournament.
Michael Ballack scored on a free kick in the 49th minute from 25 yards out and from there the three-time champion Germans never looked back.
Germany failed to jump out to an early lead when Mario Gomez sent an easy chip in front of the net over the crossbar in the fifth minute.
“We should have taken the lead earlier,” said Ballack. “It would have been easier. We haven’t been so convincing so far, but this will give us a push for sure.”
Austria created many chances of its own but failed to capitalize.
Austrian manager Andreas Herzog said after the match, “We have a very young team and they’re all depressed in the dressing room right now. With two years of hard work we’ve been able to show that people can play good football in Austria.”
Germany will go on to face Portugal on Thursday in Basel, Switzerland.
MORE POPULAR PAGES
- Injured Cech out of Czech squad for Scotland friendly
- Driver's Scotland ambition dashed
- Lithuania appoint Zutautas as new coach
- France favourites for Euro qualifiers, says Romania coach
- Italy's Lippi wary of Serbia, Slovenia challenge
- Old rivals England and Wales to clash for Euro place
- Germany's Loew confident of Euro 2012 berth
- England's Capello wary of Welsh
- England to play Wales in Euro 2012 qualifiers
- Euro 2012 qualifying draw