Baltimore Orioles vs New York Yankees: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Yankee Stadium, New York City, NY.
When: Saturday, March 30th at 1:05 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Orioles TV: MASN, Yankees TV: YES, Orioles Radio: WJZ/105.7FM, Yankees Radio: WFAN
It is going to be a long season for Baltimore fans as the team begins another year of rebuilding.
With a lineup mixed with journeymen veterans and inexperienced rookies, the Orioles will struggle to consistently score runs. Also, the older rotation doesnt have anything close to an ace and will try to cobble together innings to take the pressure off of a young bullpen.
The Orioles have 100-1 odds to win the American League and 200-1 to take home the World Series trophy.
New York Yankees
The Yankees begin their season with a six-game homestand against the rebuilding Orioles and Tigers. New York last season was 53-28 at home.
James Paxton makes his Yankee debut after a trade from Seattle in the offseason. The big left-hander has a strong fastball and devastating curve that will keep Baltimore guessing all game.
New York currently stands at +225 to win the AL and 5-1 to win the World Series.
Orioles: Nate Karns
Nate Karns has been given the second spot in the Orioles rotation but the right hander has many doubting that hell throw for many innings in a Baltimore uniform due to his long injury history.
Karns is penciled in as an opener for the game against the Yankees, so dont expect the righty to throw for many innings in his Orioles debut. The bullpen will cover most of the game in the absence of a true starter for Baltimore.
- Karns went into camp as a candidate for the Orioles rotation but building his arm strength has been slow after shoulder and elbow injuries over the past two seasons.
- For his career, Karns has a 9.3 per nine innings strikeout rate.
- Karns has a 1.36 per nine innings home run rate.
Yankees: James Paxton
At six feet, four inches, James Paxton is menacing when he stands on the mound. With a 1.10 whip and 15% swinging strike rate last season, Paxton backed up the intimidating appearance with even scarier pitching.
Right-handed batters hit just .201 against Paxton in 2018 as the lefty struck out 170 of his 208 total Ks against righties.
- Paxton struggled in April last season with a 5.12 ERA.
- The left hander gave up 30 hits in 31.2 innings last April.
- With runners in scoring position, Paxton allowed just a .210 batting average to hitters.
The Orioles lineup has had limited success against Paxton, but the good news is their inexperienced lineup hasnt faced him much either.
Baltimore will rely on rookie Cedric Mullins and 2B Jonathan Villar to handle the top of the lineup. With the duos speed, look for the Orioles to generate runs through stolen bases.
- Chris Davis is only one for five against Paxton with three strikeouts, although lefties do well against the pitcher.
- Trey Mancini is one for three against the lefty in his young career.
- The Orioles will be able to stack a right-handed lineup against Paxton as the Orioles bench is primarily right handed.
New York Yankees
The Yankees will once again score a lot of runs and against Orioles starter Nate Karns, the New York lineup will be licking their chops.
Aaron Judge leads a ridiculously deep Yankee lineup that lead the MLB in home runs last season. With new veteran SS Troy Tulowitzki hitting at the bottom of the lineup, the Yankees will be a tough out at any spot in the lineup.
- Brett Gardner is four for 10 lifetime against the Baltimore right hander.
- Giancarlo Stanton is hitless against Karns in three career at-bats.
- Aaron Judge hit .394 last season against right handers at Yankee Stadium.
- Slugging OF Mark Trumbo was placed on the 60-day IL due to his injured knee.
- Mychal Givens will begin the year as the Orioles closer.
- LF Trey Mancini will anchor the Baltimore lineup in the cleanup position.
New York Yankees
- Greg Bird started opening day at 1B over Luke Voit.
- Despite a stellar rookie season, 2B Gleyber Torres will hit ninth for the Yankees.
- SP CC Sabathia will miss the first five games of 2019 due to suspension.
888Sport is currently offering the following moneyline odds:
Baltimore Orioles: TBC
New York Yankees: TBC
If you are in New Jersey, sign up with 888Sport and get a welcome bonus up to $500!