World Series 2019 Game 1: Washington Nationals vs Houston Astros - Predictions & Odds
The Astros will easily win Game 1 on their way to a World Series title in five games. Game 1 final score - Astros 5, Nationals 1.
How to Watch Washington Nationals vs Houston Astros
Where: Minute Maid Park, Houston, TX.
When: Tuesday, October 22nd at 8:08 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): National TV: Fox. Nationals Radio: WJFK/106.7 FM. Astros Radio: KBME 790 AM.
The Nationals swept the St. Louis Cardinals in four games to advance to their first World Series in franchise history.
Washington has a 40% chance to win the World Series title according to FiveThirtyEight.
The Nationals have +170 odds to win Game 1 and are +192 to take the World Series.
The Astros walked off Game 6 after Jose Altuve’s home run and clinched their second trip to the World Series in the last three years.
Houston has a 60% probability to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty-Eight.
The Astros are -210 to take Game 1 and currently sit at -235 to take the World Series.
Houston Astros: Gerrit Cole
Gerrit Cole has been dominant ?
— MLB Network (@MLBNetwork) October 15, 2019
Cole has been masterful over his three postseason starts including the series-clinching win in Game 5 of the ALDS.
- Cole has yet to allow more than four hits in a start in the postseason.
- His ERA is 0.40 over 22.2 innings with just ten hits allowed, including one homer.
- Cole’s elite strikeout rate has rolled over into October as the Astros’ ace has whiffed 32 batters over the 22.2 innings.
Nationals: Max Scherzer
Max Scherzer was on fire in the Nationals’ 3-1 win over the Cardinals:
? 11 K’s
? 1 hit
? 7.0 IP
Washington up 2-0 in the NLCS. pic.twitter.com/ZgM0q6g2II
— Bleacher Report MLB (@BR_MLB) October 12, 2019
The Nationals have won all three of Scherzer’s starts in the postseason as the right-hander has posted a 1.80 ERA with 27 strikeouts in 20 innings.
- Scherzer’s best start of the postseason came on October 12th as the ace allowed just one hit over seven innings while striking out 11 Cardinals hitters.
- Michael Brantley is the Astros’ best hitter off Scherzer, going 15 for 44 with one homer and nine RBI.
- Scherzer is 14-10 with a 2.98 ERA in his career (40 starts) when he pitches on six or more days’ of rest as he will in Game 1 of the World Series.
Bet On Fantasy Baseball With These Sportsbooks
After being shut out 7-0 in Game 1 of the ALCS, the Astros’ offense outscored the Yankees 22-14 in the final five games of the series.
- 2B Jose Altuve has been incredible for the Astros in the postseason, hitting 15 for 43 with five homers, three doubles and has scored ten runs.
- OF George Springer is hitting just .152 in the postseason but has hit two big homers to propel Astros to victories.
- 3B Alex Bregman went 3 for 18 in the Astros’ ALCS victory with one double and one RBI.
The Nationals’ offense was stellar in the NLCS, scoring 20 runs for an average of five runs per contest. The Nats’ outscored the Cardinals 20-6 in the four-game NLCS.
- In the postseason, SS Trea Turner is 12 for 42 with one homer and three RBI but has zero steals.
- 2B Howie Kendrick went 5 for 15 in the NLCS to win MVP for the series. He is 2 for 9 against Cole’s lifetime.
- 3B Anthony Rendon led the Nationals in the NLCS, going 5 for 12 with a double and two RBI. Rendon is 5 for 13 lifetime against Cole.
- The Astros will start Justin Verlander and Zack Greinke in Games 1 and 2.
- RP Ryan Pressly wrenched his knee in Game 6 of the ALCS but claims he’ll be ready for Game 1 of the World Series.
- 2B Jose Altuve won the MVP of the ALCS after his Game 6 walk-off 2-run homer against the Yankees’ Aroldis Chapman.
- SP Stephen Strasburg and Patrick Corbin will start Games 2 and 3 for the Nationals.
- The Nationals will have six days off between the end of the NLCS and the start of the World Series. Teams who have played under these same circumstances are 5-7 in Games 1 and 2.
- NLCS MVP Howie Kendrick could get some at-bats as a DH in Houston over the first two games of the series.
Game 1 & World Series Prediction
In his last start, Gerrit Cole struggled in New York, but the warm confines of Minute Maid Park will get the strong right-hander back into his groove. Look for the Astros to ride the momentum of their walk-off win against the Yankees on Saturday night and grab a couple of early runs against Nats’ starter Max Scherzer.
The Astros will easily win Game 1 on their way to a World Series title in five games.
Game 1 Prediction: Final score – Astros 5, Nationals 1.
World Series Prediction: Astros in five.
Game 1 Odds – Washington Nationals vs Houston Astros