ALCS Game 3: Houston Astros vs New York Yankees - Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
Cole hasn’t lost a start for Houston since late May, a statistic that certainly turns heads. Final score prediction: Astros 4, Yankees 2.
Looking for ALCS Game 5 predictions? Then check out our article covering the Astros vs Yankees Game 5 here.
How to Watch Astros vs Yankees
Where: Yankee Stadium, New York City, NY
When: Tuesday, October 15th, 2019 at 4:08 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): National TV: FS1 Astros TV/Radio: AT&T SportsNet, 850 AM. Yankees TV/Radio: YES, WFAN 101.9FM.
The Astros certainly saved their season with the late heroics of shortstop Carlos Correa in the Game 2 win. Correa’s home run in the bottom of the 11th secured the 3-2 win for Houston.
Houston has a 48% probability to win the ALCS and a 30% chance to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty-Eight.
The Astros have -155 odds to win the AL and are +150 to take the World Series.
— Houston Astros (@astros) October 14, 2019
New York Yankees
New York squandered some late chances to take Game 2 from the Astros. The Yankees now have three games at home but must face Houston’s Gerrit Cole in Game 3.
New York has a 52% probability to win the ALCS and a 32% chance to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty-Eight.
The Yankees have +130 odds to win the AL and are +230 to take the World Series.
Houston Astros: Gerrit Cole
Gerrit Cole allowed only six hits and two earned runs in his 15.2 ALDS innings while striking out a staggering 23 batters over the two starts.
- The Astros’ right-hander allowed a road batting average of .199 this season.
- Cole had 152 strikeouts in 99.1 innings on the road in 2019.
- During the day this season, Cole is 6-0 with a 2.09 ERA and opposing hitters are batting just .168 on the year.
New York Yankees: Luis Severino
— New York Yankees (@Yankees) October 14, 2019
Severino was very solid in his lone ALDS appearance, starting Game 3 and allowing no runs over four innings.
- Don’t expect Severino to pitch more than four-to-five innings as he has yet to throw more than 83 pitches in any of his 2019 starts.
- Over Severino’s first four starts of the season, the righty allowed just ten hits in 16 innings.
- Severino struck out four Twins in the decisive Game 3 win that clinched the sweep of Minnesota.
The Astros offense has yet to catch fire in the ALCS, scoring just three runs in 19 innings over the first two games.
- 2B Jose Altuve is 4 for 13 against Severino in his career with all the hits coming as singles.
- OF Michael Brantley is 3 for 11 against Severino with one double and one solo homer.
- 3B Alex Bregman is 1 for 8 with two strikeouts and a single against the Yankees’ right-hander.
New York Yankees
The Yankees were worse offensively at home than on the road in 2019. In Game 2, the Yankees’ two runs were the lowest output at the plate in the 2019 postseason for the club.
- 1B DJ LeMahieu is 2 for 18 against Cole with four strikeouts.
- 1B Edwin Encarnacion is 1 for 8 versus Cole with one double and one RBI.
- OF Giancarlo Stanton is 3 for 10 with one homer and two RBI against the Houston right-hander.
- Game 4 could be a bullpen game for the Astros and if manager AJ Hinch decides to go that route, look for rookie Jose Urquidy to take the mound.
- SP Brad Peacock was left off the ALCS roster and will not start Game 4 for the Astros.
- Rain is in the forecast for Wednesday and the potential for a late start or rainout is possible. If the game is rained out, then the teams will use the travel day in-between Games 5 and 6 as a replacement date.
New York Yankees
- Manager Aaron Boone could make Game 4 a bullpen game or start a veteran like JA Happ.
- SP C.C. Sabathia appeared for one batter in Game 2 and looks to be a matchup play out of the Yankees bullpen.
- OF Aaron Hicks came off the bench in Game 2 and played centerfield.
Game 3 Predictions Astros vs Yankees
After the dramatic extra-innings affair on Sunday night, this series is even again at one game apiece. When looking at Game 3, it is easy to see that the Astros have the pitching advantage as Gerrit Cole goes for Houston.
Cole hasn’t lost a start for Houston since late May, a statistic that certainly turns heads.
For the series, the Astros’ advantages at home will be too much for the Yankees to overcome as Houston wins the ALCS in six games.
Game 3 Prediction: Final score Astros 4, Yankees 2.
ALCS Game 3 Odds – Houston Astros vs New York Yankees