ALCS Game 4: Houston Astros vs New York Yankees - Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
After treading water for most of the postseason, look for Houston to break out against a tired Yankees bullpen. Game 4 prediction: Astros 7, Yankees 5.
Looking for ALCS Game 5 predictions? Then check out our article covering the Astros vs Yankees Game 5 here.
How to Watch
Where: Yankee Stadium, New York City, NY
When: Wednesday, October 16th, 2019 at 8:08 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): National TV: FS1 Astros TV/Radio: AT&T SportsNet, 850 AM. Yankees TV/Radio: YES, WFAN 101.9FM.
The Astros put together another victory in Game 3 behind the strength of a gutsy pitching performance from ace Gerrit Cole and two homers, one from Jose Altuve and another from Josh Reddick.
Houston has a 68% probability to win the ALCS and a 40% chance to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty Eight.
The Astros have -360 odds to win the AL and are -112 to take the World Series.
New York Yankees
New York was stifled in Game 3 by tough Houston pitching, but after scoring 30 runs in their first four playoff games, the Yankees have scored three total runs in their last two games (both losses).
New York has a 32% probability to win the ALCS and a 19% chance to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty Eight.
The Yankees have +270 odds to win the AL and are +550 to take the World Series.
Houston Astros: Bullpen Game or Zack Greinke
After the Game 1 blowup where they allowed seven runs to the Yankees, the Houston pitching staff has allowed just three runs over the last 20 innings in Game 2 and 3 wins.
- The three relievers in Game 3 for Houston threw 21 pitches in their two innings of work.
- With Jose Urquidy slated to pitch a few innings, expect manager AJ Hinch to rely on Will Harris and closer Roberto Osuna to once again close out the lead if they have it in Game 4.
- Greinke allowed two home runs in Game 1. In six innings, the veteran righty surrendered three earned runs on seven hits, while striking out six.
New York Yankees: Bullpen Game or Masahiro Tanaka
Manager Aaron Boone has had to rely on the bullpen in Game 2 and 3 as both starters combined to throw just 6.2 innings in the two losses.
- If the Yankees have to go to a bullpen game plan, expect JA Happ to get a few innings.
- Adam Ottavino has made appearances in all three games for New York. He has allowed three earned runs on five hits in just 1.2 innings during the ALCS.
- If Game 4 is called off due to rain, expect Game 1 winner Masahiro Tanaka to start as he allowed just one hit over six innings in the opening game of the ALCS.
New Users Only. Min. $5 Deposit. Eligibility restrictions apply. See DraftKings.com for details.
- 20K public contests per day
- Play against friends privately
- Win even if you don't finish 1st
The Astros offense has yet to breakout in the ALCS as they’ve just scored just seven runs over the first three games but have a 2-1 lead due to their incredible pitching.
- 2B Jose Altuve had two hits in Game 3 and is hitting .417 in the 2019 postseason. His first inning homer led off the scoring for the Astros.
- OF George Springer went 0 for 4 in Game 3 and is hitting just .083 for the postseason.
- 3B Alex Bregman went 0 for 2 in the 4-1 Astros win and is batting just .143 in the postseason for Houston.
New York Yankees
After hitting .324 with runners in scoring position in the ALDS versus the Twins, the Yankees are hitting just .200 in the ALCS.
- SS Didi Gregorius went 0 for 4 in Game 3 and left five runners on base in those hitless at-bats.
- The Yankees left nine men on base, going 0 for 6 with runners in scoring position in Game 3 against Houston.
- OF Aaron Judge went 1 for 4 with a single and two strikeouts against Cole and the Astros bullpen.
- Game 5 starter will be Zack Greinke, although a rainout could bump him up to pitch in Game 4 if played on Thursday.
- SP Jose Urquidy will get a sizable share of work in the Astros’ Game 4 bullpen game plan if played on Wednesday.
- Urquidy has never faced the Yankees in his career.
New York Yankees
- Manager Aaron Boone could make Game 4 a bullpen game or, if there is a rainout, start Game 1 pitcher Masahiro Tanaka.
- Yankees expect that MLB will make a decision on a rainout early on Wednesday, so both teams can prepare in case of a cancellation.
- OF Giancarlo Stanton did not play with a quad injury and could be replaced on the ALCS roster if the injury worsens.
Game 4 Prediction
Both teams have been relatively controlled from an offensive standpoint but that could change if Game 4 is a bullpen game for both teams. After treading water for most of the postseason, look for Houston to break out against a tired Yankees bullpen.
Game 4 Prediction: Astros 7, Yankees 5
ALCS Game 4 Odds – New York Yankees vs Houston Astros
|Sportsbook||HOU Astros||NY Yankees|