New York Mets vs Washington Nationals: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Nationals Park, Washington, D.C.
When: Saturday, March 30th at 1:05 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Mets TV: SNY/WPIX, Nationals TV: MASN, Mets Radio: WCBS 880 AM, Nationals Radio: WJFK/106.7 FM
New York Mets
The Mets will rely on one of the strongest young arms in the game as power pitcher Noah Syndergaard takes the hill.
Thor as hes known to fans, must stay healthy in 2019 for the Mets to have a chance to compete for the NL pennant. Syndergaard has missed significant time in each of the last two seasons.
The Mets currently stand at 12-1 odds to win the National League and 25-1 to take the World Series.
Washington was one of the best teams in the National League last season with a 90-72 record. This year, the Nationals will have a new look as Bryce Harper left to Philadelphia in the offseason.
Instead of home runs, look for the Nationals lineup to steal bases and string hits together to compliment one of the best rotations in baseball as the winning formula for a return to the playoffs.
Washington carry 6-1 odds to win the National League and 12-1 to win the World Series into the 2019 season.
Mets: Noah Syndergaard
With a devastating two-pitch mix, Syndergaard can completely take over a game with his stuff. Yet, the question remains, will the fireballer remain healthy over a full season for the first time since 2016?
Even though Thor missed several weeks of the 2018 season, the right hander still threw 154.1 innings and struckout 155 batters.
With the fastball-slider combo, Syndergaard keeps batters on their toes, but once they reach base runners tend to go free as the pitcher rarely does well at holding them close to the bag. This could be a problem against the speedy Nationals lineup.
- Syndergaards strikeout rate of 24.1% of batters last season was the lowest of his career, most likely a side effect of the injuries.
- Last season, hitters had a .247 batting average against Syndergaard.
- The tall righty has only one season over 180 innings pitched in his career.
Nationals: Stephen Strasburg
Arrieta has fallen to the 3rd spot in the Phillies rotation after a rough 2018 that saw the right hander continue his decline in skills.
With a swinging strike rate and strikeout rate plunge, Arrieta became vulnerable to left-handed batters who hit .278 off the righty last season.
- Strasburg has a strikeout rate of 10.57 per nine innings for his career.
- The right hander did have a problem last season with home runs when pitching at Nationals Park as he gave up 10 in 66.1 innings.
- Right-handed batters posted an .227 batting average against Strasburg in 2018.
New York Mets
An exciting new Mets lineup faces a familiar divisional rival as they try to solve the mystery of hitting Stephen Strasburg.
The Mets best hitter against the Nationals righty is Yoenis Cespedes, but the outfielder wont be back until midseason after heel surgery.
With top prospects Jeff McNeil and Peter Alonso in the lineup, the Mets will give Strasburg a few hitters hes never faced before.
- Michael Conforto is three for 19 lifetime against Strasburg but has two homers against the righty.
- Brandon Nimmo is two for seven against the Nationals pitcher in his limited career.
- Robinson Cano has only three at-bats against Strasburg, with no hits and two strikeouts.
The Nationals offense is one of the fastest in MLB with Trea Turner a serious threat to steal over 40 bases in 2019.
At the heart of the Nats lineup is one of the most underrated hitters in the game, 3B Anthony Rendon. The soon-to-be free agent will be looking to put together a huge season and his success against Syndergaard puts him in line for a nice start to his 2019.
- Anthony Rendon has feasted on Syndergaards fastballs, hitting .346 with two homers and seven RBIs in his career against the pitcher.
- OF Juan Soto is just one for six against Syndergaard.
- SS Trea Turner is a lifetime two for 12 against the righty.
New York Mets Roster Notes
- 2B Robinson Cano will hit third for the Mets this season.
- CF Juan Lagares has won the starting job after missing most of last season with injury.
- Top prospect Jeff McNeil will slide in at 3B for the injured Todd Frazier.
Washington Nationals Roster Notes
- The Nationals lineup is very right-handed heavy, so look for lefty Matt Adams to share 1B with Ryan Zimmerman.
- The Nationals have one of the best battery of catchers in the league with veteran combo of Kurt Suzuki and Yan Gomes.
- Trea Turner is slotted in the second spot in the batting order this season.
The game odds will be added as soon as it is made available by the sportsbooks.