Washington Nationals vs New York Mets: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Citi Field, New York City, NY
When: Sunday, April 7th at 1:10 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Mets TV: SNY/WPIX, Nationals TV: MASN, Mets Radio: WCBS 880 AM, Nationals Radio: WJFK/106.7 FM
Washington concludes their first road series of the season with a matchup against the Mets.
The Nationals will miss Jacob deGrom in this series, the ace dominated the Nats in their opening day loss.
The Nationals currently stand at 7-1 odds to win the National League and 14-1 to take the World Series.
New York Mets
Although the Mets hammered the Nats starters in the opening series of the season, Stephen Strasburg was dominant against a tired New York squad on Thursday, winning 4-0.
Rookie first baseman Peter Alonso has hit for a .346 average with one homer and seven RBIs in his first seven games for the Mets.
The Mets currently have 9-1 odds to win the National League and 18-1 to win the World Series for the 2019 season.
Mets: Zack Wheeler
Wheeler struggled against the Nationals in the first series of the season, throwing five innings and giving up four earned runs.
The significant damage to Wheeler came via a three-run homer to Trea Turner. The Mets righty did strikeout seven Mets during the start.
- Last season, Wheeler posted a 3.14 ERA at home with 92 strikeouts in 97.1 innings.
- Batters hit .239 at Citi Field against Wheeler, compared to just .199 when the Mets pitcher threw on the road.
- Wheeler posted a 4.09 ERA in April of last season, with 21 strikeouts in 22 innings.
Nationals: Max Scherzer
Scherzer has pitched well in both games this season, but lack of run support has left the three-time Cy Young winner with an 0-2 record.
On opening day, Scherzer gave up just two earned runs to the Mets over 7.2 innings with 12 strikeouts.
- Scherzer threw 96 pitches in his last outing to the Phillies, but only lasted five innings.
- In 12.2 innings this season, Scherzer has posted a staggering 21 strikeouts.
- Hitters are batting .192 against Scherzer this season with two home runs.
The Nationals handled Zack Wheeler the first time they faced him this season, chasing him out of the game after five innings.
Washington will have to deal with the loss of Trea Turner, who led the Nats with a three-run homer off Wheeler a week ago. Turner will miss at least a month with a broken finger.
- Anthony Rendon has dominated Wheeler in his career, going 10 for 28 with three RBI and five walks.
- OF Adam Eaton is 8 for 13 with a double against the Mets righty.
- 1B Ryan Zimmerman is 8 for 25 lifetime against Wheeler with two homers and four RBI.
New York Mets
After a long road trip to start the season, the Mets looked tired in their Thursday matchup against Stephen Strasburg.
Similar in pitching style to Scherzer, Strasburg rebounded from giving up four runs in his opener to the Mets.
The Mets had the rare off day on Friday to rebound and look to solve Scherzer for the second time this season.
- Michael Conforto is 8 for 26 lifetime against Scherzer with four homers.
- Robinson Cano is 3 for 16 against the Nationals rght-hander in his career.
- Peter Alonso went 0 for 3 against Scherzer on opening day with three strikeouts.
- Trea Turner will miss at least four weeks with a fractured finger.
- Utility man Howie Kendrick makes his return from the Injured List (Achilles).
- Anibal Sanchez should make his scheduled start despite a bruised hip.
New York Mets
- OF Brandon Nimmo wont miss time despite taking a pitch off the hand against Miami.
- Travis DArnaud and Todd Frazier appear to be ready to return after short injury rehab stint.
- Yoenis Cespedes still appears to be headed for a midseason return from heel surgeries.
The game odds will be added as soon as it is made available by the sportsbooks.