Philadelphia Phillies vs New York Mets: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Citi Field, New York, NY
When: Saturday, September 7th at 7:10 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Phillies TV/Radio: Comcast SportsNet, WIP 94.1 FM. Mets TV/Radio: SNY, WCBS 880 AM.
The Phillies’ playoff chances are on life support after another sub-par month in August.
Philadelphia has a 7.2% chance of making the playoffs and a <0.1% to take the World Series title according to Baseball Reference.
The Phillies’ odds have sunk to 40-1 to win the National League and 80-1 to win the World Series.
New York Mets
The Mets have the starting pitching to get back into the mix in the NL Wild Card race, but time is running out for New York.
New York have dropped to an 8.7% shot of reaching the playoffs and 0.2% to take the World Series.
The Mets’ have seen their odds settle at 40-1 to take the NL title and 80-1 to claim the 2019 World Series.
Phillies: Drew Smyly (3-6, 6.65 ERA)
Smyly had his best start since the end of July last week in a 7-1 win over Cincinnati. Smyly have up just a solo homer over 5.1 innings and struck out eight hitters.
- Smyly has allowed ten homers in his last six starts.
- Before his nice start on September 2nd, Smyly allowed a 7.20 ERA in August.
- Smyly has surrendered 29 homers this season in 21 starts.
New York Mets: Marcus Stroman (7-12, 3.28 ERA)
Since being traded to the Mets, Stroman has made six starts, allowing 16 earned runs in 31.2 innings.
- In his last start, Stroman pitched against the Phillies, allowing two earned runs in six innings with six strikeouts.
- The Mets’ starter has surrendered five homers in his last four games.
- Stroman has struck out one batter per inning for the Mets, a stark contrast to his K-rate for the Blue Jays before the trade.
Despite scoring a season-high 144 runs in the month of August, the Phillies had their second losing month of the last three months with a 13-14 record.
- 1B Rhys Hoskins went 3 for 10 against Stroman with three strikeouts.
- OF Corey Dickerson is 12 for 30 versus the Mets’ starter with two homers and four RBI.
- OF Bryce Harper is 0 for 3 against Stroman in their only matchup.
New York Mets
The Mets continued to play well in August, scoring a season high 148 runs over the month for an average of 5.29 runs per game.
- OF Rajai Davis is 3 for 10 against Arrieta with one homer and three RBI.
- 3B Todd Frazier is 2 for 4 against the Phillies’ lefty with one double and two RBI.
- 2B Robinson Cano is 3 for 12 with three strikeouts off Smyly.
- RP Juan Nicasio has a rotator cuff injury forcing him to go on the 10-day IL.
- SP Jared Eickhoff was moved to the 60-day IL effectively ending his 2019 season.
- OF Jay Bruce is back on the active roster after missing August with an injury.
New York Mets
- RP Robert Gsellman is experiencing triceps tendinitis that forced him to the 10-day IL.
- C Tomas Nido has returned after spending time on IL from a concussion.
- OF Brandon Nimmo has returned to the Mets roster after a long IL stint due to his back.
The game odds will be added as soon as it is made available by the sportsbooks.