NLDS Game 5: St. Louis Cardinals vs Atlanta Braves - Predictions, Picks and Odds
I’m leaning toward the home team in Game 5 as I believe the hometown Braves have the firepower to get out to a big lead that they won’t surrender. Final score: Braves 4, Cardinals 2.
How to Watch St. Louis Cardinals vs Atlanta Braves
Where: SunTrust Park, Atlanta, GA
When: Wednesday, October 9th at 5:02 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): National TV: TBS. Cardinals TV/Radio: Fox Sports Midwest, KMOX 1120 AM. Braves TV: Fox Sports South, Braves Radio: 106.7 FM
St. Louis Cardinals
The Cardinals have won four series since 2004 when they were one loss away from elimination including the historic 2011 World Series over the Texas Rangers.
St. Louis has a 15.9% chance to win the National League and 3.1% shot to win the World Series.
The Cardinals are +450 to win the National League and +1200 to win the World Series according to bookmakers.
— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) October 7, 2019
The Braves are looking for a return to the NLCS for the first time since 2001 with a Game 5 win over the Cardinals.
The Braves have a 17.8% chance to win the National League, according to Fangraphs, while they give Atlanta a 4.2% probability to win the Series.
Atlanta are currently at +450 odds to claim the National League title and +900 to win the World Series.
Check out also “Who Will Win the 2019 World Series?“.
St. Louis Cardinals: Jack Flaherty
Flaherty pitched seven innings, allowing three runs on eight hits and one walk in the Cardinals 3-0 loss in Game 2.
- After allowing a run in the first inning of Game 2, Flaherty held the Braves scoreless for the next five innings.
- Flaherty has allowed three homers in his last seven starts. A span of 51 innings for an average of one homer for every 17 innings pitched.
- He threw 117 pitches in Game 2 of the NLCS, one fewer than his season-high of 118 against the Chicago Cubs on Sept. 19th.
Braves: Mike Foltynewicz
Foltynewicz threw seven scoreless innings in Game 2, allowing just three hits while striking out seven batters.
- Last season, Foltynewicz allowed five runs over six innings on the power of two surrendered home runs.
- The Braves’ righty allowed three singles over the seven innings in Game 2.
- Foltynewicz threw just 83 pitches over seven innings he pitched in Game 2.
St. Louis Cardinals
The Cardinals have come from behind in both of their wins against Atlanta in the NLDS.
- OF Marcell Ozuna is 8 for 17 off the Braves’ staff with two homers and four RBI.
- C Yadier Molina is just 3 for 16 in the NLDS but did have the game-winning sacrifice fly in Game 4.
- 1B Paul Goldschmidt is 7 for 16 versus Atlanta pitching with two solo homers in the NLDS.
The Braves have outscored the Cardinals 16-13 over the first four games of the NLCS.
- OF Ronald Acuna Jr. is 8 for 16 versus Cardinals pitchers in the NLCS with three doubles, one triple, and one home run.
- 2B Ozzie Albies is 4 for 16 versus St. Louis pitchers with three runs and one homer.
- 1B Freddie Freeman is 2 for 16 in the NLCS with a solo homer. His line is primarily due to his elbow bone spurs injury.
St. Louis Cardinals
- Yadier Molina is the only Cardinals player to be on the team for all four of their comeback series playoff wins in the 2000s.
- OF Harrison Bader is the only St. Louis player to attempt a steal this series as he’s 1 for 2 in stealing bags in the NLDS.
- Cards’ veteran Matt Carpenter has just five at-bats in the NLDS as he has been relegated to a bench role in the playoffs.
- SP Mike Soroka should be available out of the bullpen for the Braves in Game 5.
- Despite the swirling controversy surrounding OF Ronald Acuna Jr. has been incredible this series leading the Braves with eight hits.
- 1B Freddie Freeman, battling bone spurs in his elbow, has been noticeably struggling at the plate despite a homer in Game 1.
Game Predictions NLDS Game 5 Cardinals vs Braves
Mike Foltynewicz has been lights out for Atlanta over the last 37 innings pitched, allowing just five earned runs behind three home runs allowed to opposing batters. He was brilliant in Game 2 against the Cardinals, but he’ll need another special performance for Atlanta to move on to the NLCS.
The same holds true for Jack Flaherty, who was mismanaged in Game 2 and left in too long by Cards’ manager Mike Schildt, throwing 117 pitches. As good as Flaherty was in the middle innings of his performance, he’ll have to be better than he was last Friday.
I’m leaning toward the home team in Game 5 as I believe the hometown Braves have the firepower to get out to a big lead that they won’t surrender. Give me Atlanta to move on to the NLCS this weekend.
Final Score Prediction: Braves 4, Cardinals 2.
Game Odds St. Louis Cardinals vs Atlanta Braves