MLS Conference Semifinals: NYCFC vs Toronto FC - Predictions & Odds
How to Watch NYCFC vs Toronto FC
Where: Citi Field, New York City, New York
When: Wednesday, October 23rd at 7:00 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): TV: FS1, TVAS, TSN 1/4, Fox Deportes. NYCFC TV/Radio: YES, WNYE 91.5 FM. Toronto FC TV/Radio: TSN, TSN 1050.
New York City FC
New York City FC received a first-round bye after finishing the regular season as the best team in the Eastern Conference.
FiveThirtyEight is giving NYCFC a 71% probability of defeating Toronto FC, a 47% chance of making the MLS Cup and an 18% shot at winning the crown.
On to New York 🗽@GarethWheeler looks ahead to round two and sets up #NYCvTOR on this week’s TFC Insider presented by the all-new @KiaCanada Telluride.#TFCLive | #TheyWillSeeRed | #MLSCupPlayoffs pic.twitter.com/jwvgXLmGrm
— Toronto FC (@TorontoFC) October 22, 2019
Toronto FC defeated D.C United 5-1 in extra time after both teams ended regulation knotted at 1-1.
FiveThirtyEight is giving Toronto FC a 29% probability of defeating NYCFC, a 9% chance of making the MLS Cup and a 2% shot at winning the title.
Toronto FC stands at +1800 to win the MLS Cup.
New York City FC: Sean Johnson (14-5-10, 1.24 goals allowed per game in regular season)
There’s history here…
— New York City FC (@NYCFC) October 22, 2019
Johnson stopped four shots in the 1-1 tie with Toronto in September but allowed four goals on nine shots in their early 4-0 loss to the Reds in March.
- NYCFC’s starting keeper has allowed six goals in his last five home starts.
- The NYCFC keeper has gone six straight starts without a clean sheet.
- Johnson had to stop a penalty kick in the 78th minute for NYCFC to hold the 1-1 draw against Toronto at Yankee Stadium in mid-Sept.
Toronto FC: Quentin Westberg (9-9-9, 1.46 goals allowed per game in the regular season)
Over 120 minutes of soccer, Westberg held D.C. United to one goal as the keeper made five saves in the 5-1 win.
- Westberg has allowed five goals in his last five road contests of 2019.
- The Toronto keeper allowed the only shot on goal to find the net in the 1-1 draw with NYCFC in September.
- Westberg’s last road shutout came on July 13th against Montreal.
Players to Watch
NYCFC has scored 2.0 goals at home this year against the 0.9 they’ve allowed on their home pitch at Yankee Stadium.
- Heber leads NYCFC with 15 goals this season, with Alexandru Mitrita in second with 11.
- Mitrita scored the lone goal in the 1-1 NYCFC draw against Toronto on Sept. 11th.
- Maxi Moralez led the MLS in assists with 20 and certainly jumpstarts the NYCFC offense when on the attack.
Toronto FC is scoring 1.4 goals away from Canada this season while they only allow 1.5 per road contest.
- Toronto beat NYCFC 4-0 at home back in March and held firm in a 1-1 road draw against the top seed on September 11th.
- After scoring one goal over the first 90 minutes, Toronto scored four goals over the next 12 minutes of the first extra-time period.
- Four different Toronto FC players scored in the 5-1 rout of D.C. United on Saturday, with Jonathan Osorio scoring twice in the first extra-time period.
Last Five Games
New York City FC
- NYCFC won seven of their last eight home matches of the season.
- New York has a plus-8 goal differential in their last five games.
- NYCFC scored 11 goals in their last five games at home this season.
- Toronto FC has posted a record of 1-0-4 over their last five road matches.
- Over their last five road contests, Toronto has a plus-4 goal differential.
- Toronto FC has scored just one goal in three of their last five games on the road.
NYCFC vs Toronto FC – Game Predictions
Although there is some concern with NYCFC having to play their home playoff games away from Yankee Stadium, the club’s roster is intact and expected to make a long run in the playoffs.
With Toronto having to go the extra time with D.C. United and turn around 72 hours later to play the toughest team in the East, I’m not sure that they’ll have the firepower to get the two goals they’ll need in this one.
Prediction: Final score – NYCFC 2, Toronto 0.
NYCFC vs Toronto FC – Game Odds