After a few years of moderate success, Garrett Smithley had his best year to date in 2018, debuting in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, earning his first ever top-5 finish in the Xfinity Series, and finishing 19th overall in the Xfinity Series standings.
Smithley has said he’s taken a much more aggressive on-course approach to racing and prefers not to develop friendships with other Xfinity Series racers because it makes him less aggressive on the track.
While still only 26, Smithley already has an eye on the future, as he hopes to work in TV once his career is over.
In this article we’ll tell Garrett Smithley’s racing story including career highlights, stats, bio and lots more.
- Born: April 27, 1992
- Hometown: Ligonier, Pennsylvania
- Height: 6’0”
- Made Xfinity Series debut in 2015.
- Lived in 3 different states before the 6th grade.
- Active member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Was the lead in his high school play, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- Raced in all but one Xfinity Series race since the start of the 2016 season.
- 2016 – MoneyLion 300 at Talladega Superspeedway
- 2017 – NASCAR Racing Experience 300 at Daytona International Speedway
- 2017 – Iowa 250 Presented by Enogen at Iowa Speedway
- 2018 – NASCAR Racing Experience 300 at Daytona International Speedway
- 2018 – MoneyLion 300 at Talladega Superspeedway
Garrett Smithley Bio
Garrett Smithley is an up and coming NASCAR driver who has spent the majority of his career racing in the Xfinity Series. At just 26 years old, Smithley has just started racing part-time in the Cup Series, ending 2018 racing for Premium Motorsports.
His biggest success to date is a top-5 finish at a 2018 Xfinity Series race at the Daytona International Speedway, the only track he’s finished multiple times in the top-10.
After beginning his career in 2007 while just a sophomore in high school, Smithley was chosen to take part in Richard Petty’s Driver’s Search in his first year after high school
NASCAR Xfinity Series and Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
In NASCAR Xfinity Series action, Smithley has competed in 99 races over 4 years. He has no wins, but does have 4 top-10 finishes. His best overall finish came in 2016, where he made 18th place with 554 points.
In Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series action, Smithley has competed in just three races, all of which took place in 2018. He ended the year in 67th place, with his best finish being 32nd at Michigan International Speedway.
First NASCAR Win
Smithley has yet to win a race in NASCAR but he appears to be making strides towards a first career victory as his 5th place finish at Daytona’s PowerShares QQQ 300 can attest to.
Smithley’s best season came in 2018, where he finished in 19th place overall in the Xfinity Series. While he finished higher in 2016 (18th place), the 2018 season saw Smithley pull in his only top-5 finish at Daytona and complete nearly 500 more laps than he did in 2016.
2018 also saw him debut in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Cup Series, suiting up for StarCom Racing and Premium Motorsports.