How to Bet on Sports Online in New Jersey
Whether it’s betting a couple of dollars with your buddies before a game or finding some value on the moneyline with an online sportsbook, sports betting is a great way to add a little spice to being a sports fan.
Online sports betting has been fully legal in New Jersey since June 2018. Even in the short time it’s been around, it’s clear that betting online with secure and legal sites is a game-changer.
But how do you actually sign up to an online sportsbook in New Jersey and start betting? Furthermore, which NJ online sports betting sites are the best?
This guide will walk you through every step of how to start betting on sports online in New Jersey, including:
- Where you can bet on sports in New Jersey, both in-person and on the internet.
- All the options for the best NJ online sportsbooks, and
- Step by step instructions on how to sign up and start betting.
Sports betting is in the early stages of a massive revolution in the US and New Jersey is at the forefront. Whether you are a casual sports fan who is curious about the world of betting or a seasoned gambler looking to cash in on your experience, keep reading for tons of info on how to bet on sports online in New Jersey.
Best Online Sportsbooks in New Jersey
- Impressive range of bonuses
- Best betting markets in NJ
- 1 of the world's top sportsbooks
- $50 welcome bonus
- Fastest payout platform
- Many withdrawal options
- Great banking options
- Up to $1000 welcome offer
- Access to fantasy sports
- $300 welcome bonus
- Huge variety of bets and sports
- $10 free bet
- $10 free bet
- $250 risk-free bet
- Lots of betting options
- $10 free
- Up to $500 welcome offer
- Beginner friendly
- Cashback on 1st bet up to $100
- Parlays with enhanced odds
- Impressive range of bets
- Risk-free bet up to $500
- Attractive odds boost feature
- Great website and app design
- Bet $50 get $50
- Promo code WSN50
- No bet-throughs required
Where Can You Bet on Sports in New Jersey?
There are already a growing number of options for online sports betting in New Jersey. In this section we’ll lay out all the options for online and land-based NJ sports betting.
NJ Online Sportsbooks
Here is a list of the current online sports betting options available in New Jersey, along with the physical casino they are associated with:
- BetStars Sportsbook (Resorts Casino Hotel)
- 888Sport (Caesars)
- Caesars Casino Sports (Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City)
- Caesars Casino Sports (Bally’s Atlantic City)
- DraftKings Sportsbook (Resorts Casino Hotel)
- FanDuel Sportsbook (Meadowlands Racetrack)
- PlayMGM (Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa)
- PointsBet (Meadowland Racetrack)
- SugarHouse Sportsbook (Golden Nugget Atlantic City)
- William Hill US (Monmouth Park Race & Sportsbook)
- William Hill US (Ocean Resort Casino)
All of these online sportsbooks are currently live and available to bet with, provided you are physically located in New Jersey.
Read our expert NJ online sportsbook reviews to easily compare all the best options and get exclusive bonuses and promotions.
Also, if you happen to have existing accounts with any of the sportsbooks’ sister companies, such as FanDuel or PokerStars, you will be able to sign into their sportsbooks and bet using the same account and money.
Since they are regulated by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, you can be sure that your money and information are safe and secure if you choose to use any of these online sportsbooks.
The truth is, if you want to bet online in New Jersey it’s always safer to choose one of the legal options, and avoid unregulated offshore sites.
Some of the the online sportsbooks are only accessible via dedicated mobile apps, which can be downloaded directly from their websites or from app stores. Other NJ online betting sites have both an app and a website option.
Land-Based NJ Sports Betting Options
If you prefer not to use online software to bet on sports, you can simply visit any of the physical casinos and racetracks listed above and bet there with cash. You can also collect your winnings from an online bet at the physical casino that your sportsbook is partnered with.
In addition to those listed above, Tropicana Casino is another option for in-person betting, although it does not yet have an online presence. The sportsbook at Tropicana is hosted in partnership with William Hill.
You can expect the number of sportsbooks, both online and offline, to continue to grow in New Jersey.
TVG Horse Race Betting App
A further option for New Jersey online betting is the flourishing horse racing market. The TVG horse race betting app is available to New Jersey residents, and lets them legally bet on races at over 150 tracks from around the world.
TVG is a multi-state app, currently available in 32 states across the US. Although exclusively dedicated to betting on horse racing, the app is similar to other sportsbook apps.
Different kinds of betting are possible, including singles, combos and multi-race combos. Users can even watch the races live, directly from the app.
Just like any of the online sportsbooks mentioned already, new users can cash in on a valuable sign-up bonus so make sure you use the WSN link to take advantage of the latest offer.
How to Sign Up for NJ Online Betting Sites
In general, signing up to online betting sites in New Jersey is a very straightforward process. Every site is different, and there will be variations in the sign up process, but generally speaking these are the steps you must complete:
- Download the app or find the sportsbook online, and choose “Create Account”, “Sign Up” or something similar.
- Enter your personal information – name, date of birth, email address. Remember that all of this data is protected.
- Choose a username and password. Make sure you choose something unique and easy for you to remember.
- You may need to provide your address, or a few digits from your SSN. This is simply to verify your identity and that you are in fact in New Jersey, and therefore eligible to bet.
- You might need to provide some security questions and answers.
Again, the process of signing up is different for each account, but it will be some variation of the above. The process is always fast and simple, and you can check out our individual reviews of each sportsbook for specific step-by-step instructions.
Bonuses for Signing Up at NJ Online Sportsbooks
One of the most important steps of all is to make sure you get the best bonus possible when you create your account and make your first deposit. Virtually all sportsbooks offer sign-up bonuses for new members and in a lot of cases this will be in the form of free bets, which match the amount of money that you first deposit.
Different sportsbooks have different bonuses which change regularly. To make sure you are getting the best bonus available for new members, use our signup links.
Depositing at NJ Sports Betting Sites
Once you have an account, you will need to deposit money in order to start betting. There are a number of ways to do this, and different sportsbooks accept different payment methods. The following are all commonly accepted at most of the options we mentioned earlier:
- Instant eCheck (ACH)
- Cashier’s Cage at the Casino
- Online Banking Transfer
- Prepaid Cards
- Credit/Debit Cards
- Bank Wire Transfers
- Paper Checks
These are the most common ways to deposit, but not all sportsbooks will accept them all so remember to check that your preferred method is accepted before choosing your sportsbook.
Withdrawal Options for NJ Sports Betting Sites
Withdrawing tends to have a few less options but it’s still a simple process.
PayPal, Neteller, physical checks and bank transfer are all common ways to withdraw, but not Visa or Mastercard. Often it depends on the method you used to deposit money, and the wait time may be a little longer.
Of course, you can always withdraw your winnings at the physical casino associated with your sportsbook.
Here’s a list of all the most commonly accepted ways of cashing out from your New Jersey online sportsbook account:
- Bank transfer (ACH)
- Check by mail
- Cashier’s cage at land-based casino
- Prepaid card
Finally, once you have set up your account, deposited money and claimed your bonus you are ready to start betting!
How to Use NJ Online Sports Betting Sites and Apps
Whichever sportsbook you choose, the online interfaces tend to be broadly similar. Chances are, you will find a list of sports at the side or top of the website, or in a drop-down menu on an app. When you click into a specific game, you will be able to see all the different kinds of bets available.
The bets will range from simple wagers like predicting who will win a game (the moneyline), or a futures bet on which team will win a whole season or championship, to more complex bets involving player statistics or the number of points scored in the game.
Check out our easy to use sports betting guides for more information.
When you click on a specific kind of bet, generally a “bet slip” feature will open up on your app or sportsbook. Your betting slip lets you keep track of all your wagers and also lets you enter how much you want to bet to see how much you stand to win.
If you are new to betting, you should take your time exploring the site and becoming familiar with the structure before placing your bets.
When you are ready to bet, you should be able to click “place bet” on your betslip, and wait to see if you win.
Rules and Laws for New Jersey Sports Betting
In May 2018, the Supreme Court of the United States made a decision which has transformed American sports gambling. By repealing the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA), SCOTUS opened up the possibility of legal sports betting for every state in the US.
New Jersey was one of the most proactive states, passing a bill on June 11th 2018 which allowed for fully legal sports betting in the state, including online sports betting.
Here is a quick run down of the laws surrounding online betting in New Jersey:
- You must be at least 21 years old to bet.
- Online sportsbooks must be connected to a physical sportsbook or casino.
- You can bet on professional and most college sports, but not high school sports or college sports connected with New Jersey.
- You must be physically in New Jersey to place a bet online.
- Sportsbooks are licenced and regulated by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.
Since these laws came into effect, many casinos in the Garden State have been busy setting up their own sportsbooks, while others have signed deals with reputable betting websites from around the world.
Similarities and Differences in New Jersey Online Sportsbooks
All of the information above is from a general point of view, and might change slightly from sportsbook to sportsbook.
In this section we’ll take a closer look at some of the major similarities and differences you can expect depending on where you sign up.
All of the major sportsbooks have plenty in common including:
- They want their sites to be as simple and familiar as possible, so they often look somewhat similar.
- They are governed by the same rules and regulations, and overseen by New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, so your details and money are secure.
- Odds and point spreads are likely to be broadly similar, but you can certainly still find value by shopping around at different sites for the best prices.
- Many have dedicated online casino or online poker sites, which you sometimes gain access to by signing up.
However, there are also differences between the different sportsbooks, and you should make sure to choose one that suits you best. Some differences include:
- Bonuses and promotions vary from site to site, sometimes dramatically. While virtually all sportsbooks offer some kinds of bonuses, they can take lots of different forms. Depending on what kind of betting you would like to do, one sportsbook’s bonus might be especially valuable for you.
- Different sites specialize in certain sports and types of bets. While all sportsbooks will cover the major sports and most popular bets, the more specialised your requirements are the more likely it is not all sportsbooks will be able to serve you. This is likely to only affect those looking for highly specific sports or bets, but double check before signing up.
- Different sites accept a different selection of deposit and withdrawal methods, as already covered.
Ultimately, sites have more similarities than differences, especially in a regulated market like New Jersey. Check out our reviews to figure out which one works best for you, and use our links to get the best bonus if you decide to sign up.
How to Place Sports Bets in Person in New Jersey
Of course, any bets that you can place online may also be placed in person at one of the casinos already mentioned.
If you are new to sports betting and would like to speak to a real person when you place your bet, you can simply go into the sportsbook and the teller will help you.
Sports betting in person is simple. If you know the bet you want to place, you can pay the teller in cash and receive a paper betting slip in return. They can also give you information about odds, or any other questions you might have.
Most sportsbook also have dedicated computerized kiosks on site, where you don’t even need to talk to a person. Instead, you will have a computer layout similar to the online sportsbook. You don’t need to create an account, you can simply insert cash or pay with your credit card, place your bet on the screen, and you will be printed a bet slip.
Physical sportsbooks also usually have dedicated big screen televisions for you to watch your bets unfold in real time.
Betting in person is a different experience. What it lacks in the convenience of betting online from the comfort of your own home, it makes up for in the excitement of being physically in the casino, watching the sports live as you bet.
NJ Online Betting Is Safe, Legal and Convenient
Legal online sports betting is an exciting development for sports fans in New Jersey. With 10 sportsbooks currently in operation in the Garden State, and more likely to be on the way, bettors are already spoiled for choice.
We suggest checking out a few of the websites and apps that are up and running now. By signing up for multiple accounts you can take advantage of multiple bonuses, and use line shopping strategies to find the best odds and betting lines.
Remember to follow our guides for signing up and depositing money. Getting set up with an online betting account is a safe and easy process and if all else fails, each online sportsbook has a customer support department that will be happy to help guide you through the setup process.
You can read our in-depth reviews of all the top sportsbook in New Jersey. Do your research about the similarities and differences between sportsbooks and figure out which one suits you best.
When you decide to sign up, always use our links so that you get the best welcome bonus.
Betting online is a great way to add a little extra spice to the experience of watching sports. There is no more exhilarating feeling that watching the last couple of minutes of a game, knowing you are on the verge of winning big.
Whether you are a casual sports fan looking for a new experience or a sports expert who wants to make some money from your insight, online sports betting in New Jersey has an option that’s right for you.