Chicago Cubs vs Washington Nationals: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Nationals Park, Washington D.C.
When: Saturday, May 18th at 7:15 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Cubs TV/Radio: WGN-TV/NBC Sports Chicago, WSCR 670 AM. Nationals TV/Radio: MASN, WJFK/106.7 FM.
The Cubs are off to a strong start with 25 wins over their first 39 games.
On the road, the Cubs pitching staff has struggled to post a 4.60 ERA with opposing hitters batting .246 away from Wrigley.
The Cubs are 4-1 to win the NL title and 10-1 to win the 2019 World Series.
The Nationals have not performed well in 2019 with a record of 16-25 through their first 41 games.
Washingtons pitching staff has been dreadful this season with a 4.81 ERA.
The Nationals have 20-1 odds to win the NL and dropped to 40-1 to take the World Series.
Chicago Cubs: Jon Lester (3-1, 1.16 ERA)
The Cubs crafty left-hander has pitched very well in 2019 with a 1.16 ERA and 1.11 WHIP.
In his last start, the 35-year old lefty held the Brewers scoreless over 6.2 innings.
- Lester has only allowed one earned run in his last four starts.
- The Cubs starter has struck out 20 batters in 19.2 innings in May.
- Lester has permitted 20 baserunners in his last three starts.
Nationals: Stephen Strasburg (3-3, 3.63 ERA)
Strasburg has yet to truly capture his elite pitching form but has lowered his ERA by almost two runs in his last six starts.
Strasburg threw 97 pitches in his last start against the Dodgers, allowing two runs over six innings with seven strikeouts.
- In May, Strasburg has allowed seven earned runs in 19.1 innings.
- In those three May starts, the Nationals righty has 27 strikeouts.
- The Nationals starter has allowed just one homer in his last five starts.
With a quarter of the season complete, the Cubs are 10-8 on the road through their first 18 games.
Chicago has scored only 92 runs over 21 home contests. On the road, through 18 games, they have 117 runs.
- OF Jason Heyward is 15 for 37 off Strasburg with one homer and four RBI.
- 1B Anthony Rizzo is 4 for 15 versus Strasburg with one double in his career.
- 3B Kris Bryant is 2 for 6 with a double off the Washington right-hander.
The Nationals offense has missed Bryce Harper as theyve struggled to score runs on the road this season.
Washington is 7-12 away from Nationals Park, scoring just 73 runs over 19 games.
- OF Adam Eaton is 5 for 17 against Lester with one double and one RBI.
- 3B Anthony Rendon is 1 for 5 versus the Cubs starter with one double and one RBI.
- 2B Howie Kendrick is 7 for 34 against Lester with five RBI and six strikeouts.
- C Victor Caratini has a broken bone in his hand and is out another month before beginning his rehab stint.
- RP Brandon Morrow has been shut down from throwing with no return date set.
- RP Pedro Strop has a strained hamstring that will keep him out a few weeks.
- SS Trea Turner has begun his rehab from a broken finger in single-A, he should return in 5-10 days.
- 1B Matt Adams strained shoulder is on the mend and he should return soon from the 10-day IL.
- 1B Ryan Zimmerman has plantar fasciitis and is slowly recovering with no return date set for the Nationals.