Cincinnati Reds vs New York Mets: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Citi Field, New York City, NY
When: Thursday, May 2nd at 12:10 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Reds TV/Radio: Fox Sports Ohio, WKFS 94.5 FM. Mets TV/Radio: SNY, WCBS 880 AM.
After an active offseason, the Reds high hopes for a good 2019 have been tampered with just 12 wins out of their first 28 games.
On the road this season, through their first 14 games, the Reds are struggling mightily with a 4-10 record.
The Reds are 100-1 favorites to win the NL and 200-1 to win the 2019 World Series.
New York Mets
The Mets have yet to get their bats and pitchers working in sequence as they have started the year at .500 through 28 games played.
At home, the Mets have hit .259 with 16 homers in their first 12 games at Citi Field.
The Mets have 12-1 odds to win the National League pennant and are 20-1 to take the World Series crown.
Cincinnati Reds: Tyler Mahle (0-3, 4.50 ERA)
After showing glimpses of promise in 2018, Mahle has regressed in 2019 with a 4.50 ERA.
The Reds starter has allowed too many runners with a .294 batting average allowed to opposing hitters.
- Mahle has given up four home runs in five games this season.
- In his last start, Mahle surrendered five runs in five innings against the Cardinals.
- Mahles K rate is decent with 26 strikeouts in 28 innings.
New York Mets: Noah Syndergaard (1-3, 6.35 ERA)
Syndergaard continues to look for his groove in 2019 as he has posted some ugly numbers to begin the season.
Syndergaard has allowed an out-of-character .299 average to opposing batters.
- Syndergaard allowed two homers in last start against the Brewers.
- The Mets right-hander is still racking up the strikeouts with 39 in 34 innings.
- The Mets righty has allowed 40 hits this year, leading to abnormally high 1.47 WHIP.
Against right-handed starters this season, the Reds are hitting a meager .206.
As a team, righties have struck out the Reds at a 27% rate, so expect Syndergaard to pile on the strikeouts.
- 1B Joey Votto is 2 for 14 against the Mets righty in his storied career.
- OF Yasiel Puig is 1 for 6 against Syndergaard with one strikeout.
- 2B Derek Dietrich has had the most success against Syndergaard, going 7 for 22 with two RBI and two doubles.
New York Mets
Over 12 games at Citi Field, the Mets have scored 63 runs for a 5.3 runs per game average.
Through Monday, Pete Alonso ranks 5th in the National League in homers with nine and 4th in RBI with 24.
- OF Brandon Nimmo is 1 for 1 against Mahle with a double and one RBI.
- OF Keon Broxton is 0 for 3 in his only appearance against the Reds starter.
- When facing Mahle in his career, 1B Dominic Smith is also 1 for 1 with one walk and an RBI.
- 2B Scooter Gennett is off crutches and will soon begin light workouts in his recovery from a groin injury.
- OF Matt Kemp is dealing with a fractured rib and is on the 10-day IL.
- SP Alex Wood continues to rehab from lower back tightness with no return date in sight.
New York Mets
- INF Jed Lowrie is recovering from his sprained knee and just played his first rehab game.
- 2B Robinson Canos MRI was negative after taking a pitch off his left hand, he should be back sometime late in the week.
- Mets have DFAd C Travis dArnaud giving them ten days to trade, release or option the player to the minors.
Place a bet here, if you reside in New Jersey
|Sportsbook||Cincinnati Reds||New York Mets||Link|
* 21+ | NJ only | If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call 1-800-GAMBLER