New York Mets vs Chicago Cubs: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
When: Friday, June 21st at 2:20 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Mets TV/Radio: SNY, WCBS 880 AM. Cubs TV/Radio: WGN-TV/NBC Sports Chicago, WSCR 670 AM.
New York Mets
The Mets have been terrible away from Citi Field with a 15-25 road record this season.
New York have fallen to 11.1% probability of reaching the postseason and a microscopic 0.4% probability to hold the World Series trophy.
The Mets have slipped to 30-1 to win the NL title and 75-1 to win the 2019 World Series.
The Cubs are back in the race in the tight NL Central as they jockey for position with last years division winner, the Milwaukee Brewers.
Chicago has raised their probability to reach the postseason to 75.5% and stand with a 7.3% probability to hold the World Series trophy.
The Cubs have 6-1 odds to win the National League and have 12-1 odds to win the 2019 World Series.
New York Mets: Jason Vargas (3-3, 3.74 ERA)
Vargas started June with an absolute gem, throwing a complete game shutout against the Giants on the 5th.
In his last two starts since the shutout, Vargas has thrown 10 innings and allowed five earned runs.
- Opposing hitters are batting .240 in 2019 off the Mets left-hander.
- Vargas has struck out 15 batters over his 19 innings in June.
- The Mets lefty had gone four straight outings without allowing a homer before Paul Goldschmidt hit one in Vargas last start.
Chicago Cubs: Yu Darvish (2-3, 4.65 ERA)
Darvish went back to Los Angeles to face the Dodgers in his last start and was dynamic, only allowing two hits and one earned run in a 2-1 win.
In the start against the Dodgers, Darvish struck out 10 batters, the second time this season he struck out double digit hitters.
- Darvish has only allowed 14 hits in his last 24.1 innings pitched.
- The right-hander has struck out 18 in his three June starts with just three walks.
- In his last four starts, Darvish has allowed eight earned runs in 24.1 innings.
New York Mets
The Mets have steadily fallen in the scoring charts, averaging 4.75 runs per game, good for 17th in baseball.
On the road, the Mets are posting an average of 4.49 runs per contest.
- SS Amed Rosario is 1 for 3 against the right-hander in their only matchup.
- OF Michael Conforto is 1 for 5 off Darvish with three strikeouts.
- 2B Robinson Cano is 9 for 25 off the Cubs starter with a solo homer and two doubles.
Chicago has a winning record at home in every year since 2014 and are currently on their way to another solid year with a 24-12 record.
At home, the Cubs have scored 4.75 runs, good for 15th overall in the MLB.
- 1B Anthony Rizzo is 1 for 8 against Vargas with two strikeouts.
- C Willson Contreras is 1 for 2 versus the Mets starter with one double.
- OF Kyle Schwarber is 0 for 2 against the left-hander in his career with two strikeouts.
New York Mets
- RP Jeurys Familia is back on the IL with shoulder discomfort.
- SP Noah Syndergaard has a strained hamstring and could be out a few weeks.
- OF Brandon Nimmo has been shut down from baseball activities with a bulging disc in his neck.
- C Victor Caratini has returned from a hand injury and is on the 40-man roster.
- RP Brandon Morrow is slowing returning from being shut down due to elbow soreness.
- SP Kyle Hendricks has a shoulder impingement that could keep him out until after the All-Star break.
The game odds will be added as soon as it is made available by the sportsbooks.