Philadelphia Phillies vs Miami Marlins: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Marlins Park, Miami, FL
When: Sunday, April 14th at 1:10 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Phillies TV: Comcast SportsNet, Phillies Radio: WIP 94.1 FM, Marlins TV: Fox Sports Florida, Marlins Radio: 940 AM WINZ
The Phillies offense has been impossible to contain over their first ten games of the season with 63 runs scored.
As good as the offense is playing, the Philadelphia bullpen is in dire straits, although experts expect it to settle soon. The Phillies pitching has allowed 4.6 runs per game with a 4.30 ERA.
The Phillies have 6-1 odds to win the National League and are 12-1 to win the World Series in 2019.
Miami is in the midst of a rebuild but have assembled an exciting rotation of young fireballers that show a lot of promise.
The Marlins have scored just 33 runs in their first 11 games this season. In comparison, the pitching staff has allowed 58 runs in 2019.
The Marlins currently have 500-1 odds to win the National League and 1000-1 to win the World Series for the 2019 season.
Phillies: Vince Velasquez (0-0, 3.00 ERA)
Although he has only thrown six innings this season, Velasquez has been sharp in both of his appearances for the Phillies.
In his only start of the year, Velasquez allowed just four hits and two earned runs over five innings.
Typically a big strikeout pitcher, the Phillies right-hander only struck out two in the start against Washington.
- On the season, Velasquez has struck out four hitters in six innings.
- Velasquez has allowed only one home run in his two 2019 appearances.
- Expect Velasquez to be limited with a pitch count as he only threw 80 pitches in his last start.
Marlins: Jose Urena (1-1, 6.00 ERA)
The Marlins opening day starter has struggled in all three of his 2019 starts, allowing 24 hits in just 13.2 innings pitched.
In his last start, Urena allowed four runs in five innings against Cincinnati. The Marlins starter threw 91 pitches in the road start.
- Urena is 0-2 at home this year, allowing 10 earned runs in the two home starts.
- The Marlins righty has allowed two homers over 13.2 innings in 2019.
- Urena has recorded 33 fly ball outs against 22 ground ball outs this season.
After the roster additions this offseason, the Phillies offense has delivered on its immense talent by outscoring opponents 63 to 46 through their first ten games.
The Phillies offense has scored six runs or more in seven of their first ten games this season.
- 2B Cesar Hernandez is 7 for 26 lifetime against Urena with two home runs and six RBI.
- OF Bryce Harper is 3 for 11 with one RBI in his career against the Marlins starter.
- OF Andrew McCutchen is 4 for 8 against Urena in his storied career.
The Marlins are one of only three teams to average three runs or less at this point of the 2019 MLB season.
They scored just 26 runs in their opening seven-game homestand where they lost five of the seven contests.
- 3B Martin Prado is 4 of 14 against Velasquez with one homer and two RBIs in his career.
- 2B Starlin Castro is 1 for 9 with one double and two strikeouts lifetime against Velasquez.
- 1B Neil Walker is 2 for 11 with one walk in his career against the Phillies starter.
- OF Roman Quinn is on the 10-day IL with a strained oblique.
- RP Tommy Hunter continues to rehab from a strained flexor with no return date set.
- The team continues to explore a closer by committee approach to the 9th inning.
- 1B Garrett Cooper is recovering from a strained calf and is on the 10-day IL.
- RP Riley Ferrell has a strained biceps and is on the 10-day IL.
- RP Sergio Romo has won the closer competition in Miami.
Odds: Philadelphia Phillies vs Miami Marlins
If you reside in New Jersey, you can place bets here
|Sportsbook||Philadelphia Phillies||Miami Marlins||Link|
* 21+ | NJ only | If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call 1-800-GAMBLER