St. Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
When: Sunday, May 5th at 7:05 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Cardinals TV/Radio: Fox Sports Midwest, KMOX 1120 AM. Cubs TV/Radio: WGN-TV/NBC Sports Chicago, WSCR 670 AM.
St. Louis Cardinals
The Cardinals have been dominant this season with a stunning 19 wins in their first 29 games.
Even with the impressive record, most of those wins have come at home, as the Cards have won only seven of their 13 games on the road in 2019.
The Cardinals are at 7-1 odds to win the National League and 15-1 to take the World Series crown.
The Cubs have begun to string together some wins on their recent road trip and now hope to parlay some of that magic at Wrigley Park.
Through their first 11 games at home, the Cubs are hitting a meager .223 but have seven wins against four losses.
The Cubs have 15-1 odds to win the National League and have 20-1 odds to win the 2019 World Series.
St. Louis Cardinals: Adam Wainwright (3-2, 3.73 ERA)
Wainwright has discovered a bit of lost magic with four quality starts this season allowing just two runs or less in each game.
In his last two starts, Wainwright has been a revelation allowing only three solo homers in 12.1 innings.
- There may be a bit of smoke and mirrors to Wainwrights start as his WHIP is 1.34, which is far too many runners on base to continue this hot start.
- The Cardinals starter has also just struck out 27 in 31 innings in 2019.
- Opposing batters facing Wainwright are hitting .254 against the right-hander this season.
Chicago Cubs: Jose Quintana (3-1, 3.48 ERA)
After stringing together a run of 21 innings with just two earned runs allowed, Quintana was found to be mortal in his last start against Arizona.
Against the Diamondbacks, Quintana threw 5.2 innings but allowed two homers and three earned runs.
- Quintanas strikeout rate has surged this year with 38 Ks in 33.2 innings.
- The left-handed starter only struck out two in his last start but did not walk a batter.
- At home this season, Quintana has only allowed two runs in 14 innings.
St. Louis Cardinals
Against left-handed pitchers in 2019, the Cards are hitting just .206 with only seven homers.
In 2019, the Cards are batting .254 on the road but have 24 homers in those 13 games.
- C Yadier Molina is 7 for 22 lifetime off the Cubs starter with three runs scored.
- OF Dexter Fowler loves hitting off Quintana posting a 7 for 17 mark with one homer and four RBI.
- 1B Paul Goldschmidt is 4 for 8 off the Cubs southpaw with two homers and six RBI.
Chicago has enjoyed playing at Wrigley Field over the past few seasons with a winning record at home in every year since 2014.
In their eleven home games in 2019, the Cubs have scored 46 runs in 11 games for a 4.18 runs-per-game average.
- 1B Anthony Rizzo is 12 for 46 against Wainwright with one homer and seven RBI.
- 2B Javier Baez is just 3 for 17 versus the Cardinals starter with five strikeouts.
- OF Jason Heyward is 7 for 27 against the right-hander in his career with one homer and six RBI.
St. Louis Cardinals
- Carlos Martinez is headed to the teams spring training facility to face live batters for his next step of rehab.
- Michael Wacha recovered from his knee injury and made a start for the Cards this week.
- Luke Gregerson is rehabbing from a shoulder impingement with a possible return scheduled for next week.
- C Victor Caratini broke the hamate bone in his right hand and will miss another month before beginning his rehab stint.
- RP Brandon Morrow has been shut down from throwing with no return to throwing set at this time.
- SP Mike Montgomery made his second rehab start and should return to the Cubs in the next few days.
You can bet on the MLB game St. Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs with the following sportsbooks if you are in New Jersey. Good luck!
|Sportsbook||STL Cardinals||CHI Cubs||Link|
* 21+ | NJ only | If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call 1-800-GAMBLER