San Diego Padres vs Philadelphia Phillies: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Petco Park, San Diego, California
When: Wednesday, June 5th at 3:40 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Padres TV/Radio: Fox Sports San Diego, 97.3 FM. Phillies TV/Radio: Comcast SportsNet, WIP 94.1 FM.
San Diego Padres
The Padres are treading water, hovering around .500 this season with a record of 30-29.
San Diego sits with a slim 2.4% chance to make the playoffs and a 0.1% probability to take the World Series crown according to Baseball Reference.
The Padres are 20-1 to win the NL title and 40-1 to win the 2019 World Series.
The Phillies continue to lead the NL East with a record of 33-25 through the first 58 games of the year.
Philadelphia has a 44.1% chance to make the postseason and a 1.0% probability to take the World Series crown.
The Phillies currently have 11-2 odds to win the National League and dropped to 11-1 to take the World Series.
San Diego Padres: Joey Lucchesi (4-3, 3.96 ERA)
Lucchesi was strong in his last start, allowing one solo homer over 6.1 innings to Miami.
The Padres starter has not allowed more than three earned runs in his last five straight outings.
- The Padres lefty has allowed 41 baserunners in his 2019 home starts, roughly 1 per inning.
- Lucchesi has allowed four homers in his seven home starts this season.
- In May, Lucchesi posted a 2.97 ERA and struck out 28 in 30.1 innings.
Phillies: Jake Arrieta (5-5, 3.96 ERA)
After a strong April, Arrieta came back to earth in the month of May.
Arrietas ERA was 4.50 in May, after posting a 3.82 in April.
- In May, Arrieta struck out 32 batters in 36 innings.
- Arrieta did allow 52 baserunners over those 36 innings in May.
- The Phillies starter struggled in his last start against the Dodgers, allowing five earned runs over five innings.
San Diego Padres
At Petco Park, San Diego has been disappointing this season, only scoring 3.47 runs per contest, 3rd worst in the National League.
San Diego scores 4.46 runs per game on the road, the biggest disparity between home/away scoring in MLB.
- 3B Manny Machado is 0 for 4 off Arrieta, with two walks and two strikeouts.
- 2B Ian Kinsler is 4 for 15 versus Arrieta with a solo homer and three strikeouts.
- 1B Eric Hosmer is 3 for 11 with one RBI and one double off the Philadelphia right-hander.
The Phillies offense has been average on the road, scoring 4.52 runs per game, ranking 18th overall in MLB.
The Phillies have been far better at home, scoring 5.32 runs per game, ranking 5th overall in baseball.
- SS Jean Segura is 2 for 3 against Lucchesi in his career with two singles.
- 1B Rhys Hoskins is 0 for 2 versus the Padres starter with one strikeout and one walk.
- OF Andrew McCutchen is 0 for 3 against Lucchesi in his career with two Ks.
San Diego Padres
- OF Franchy Cordero has a sprained elbow and is on the 10-day IL.
- SS Fernando Tatis Jr.s strained hamstring is better and he is about to embark on a rehab stint.
- 2B Jose Pirela has a strained oblique and is on the 10-day IL.
- SP Zach Elfin is on the 10-day IL with lower back tightness.
- RP David Robertson is shelved on the IL with elbow soreness.
- RP Pat Neshek is on the 10-day IL with a strained shoulder.
Game Odds San Diego Padres vs Philadelphia Phillies