Colorado Avalanche vs New York Rangers: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York
When: Tuesday, January 7th at 7:30 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): NBCSN. Colorado TV/Radio: Altitude TV, Altitude Sports Radio 92.5 FM. New York TV/Radio: MSG, ESPN 98.7 FM.
Colorado is tied for 2nd place in the West with 54 points at the halfway point of the season.
Colorado is 14-6-2 on the road this year, leading the Western Conference in road wins.
The Avalanche’s odds have lowered to +600 to take the Western Conference and +1200 to win the Stanley Cup.
New York Rangers
New York has the fourth-worst record in the Eastern Conference after losing seven of their last ten games.
The Rangers are 10-8-2 at home and have a minus-5 goal differential on the season.
The Rangers stand at +5000 to take the Eastern Conference and +10000 to win the Stanley Cup.
Colorado Avalanche: Philipp Grubauer (12-9-3, 2.87 goals allowed)
Colorado’s starting goalie, Grubauer, has allowed 10 goals over his last three starts, but has won two straight appearances, allowing five goals over the streak.
- Grubauer has allowed ten goals over his last five road starts, for a GAA of 2.0 per contest.
- The Colorado starter was 1-4-1 in December with a 91% save percentage and a 3.02 GAA.
- Grubauer has not posted a shutout in any of his 25 starts of the 2019-20 season.
New York Rangers: Henrik Lundqvist (9-9-3, 3.10 goals allowed)
In his last eight starts, Lundqvist has lost six games, allowing over four goals per contest.
- Lundqvist lost his last start, 4-3 to Calgary, allowing four goals on 29 shots.
- In December, Lundqvist posted a 90.9% save percentage, allowing 18 goals in seven appearances.
- Lundqvist has won two straight starts at MSG, allowing four goals over the two-game winning streak.
Stats to Watch
Colorado has the best offense in the NHL through the first half of the season, averaging 3.71 goals per game this year.
- The Avalanche’s power play on the road has been mediocre this season, scoring 11 goals in their 74 chances for a 14.9% conversion rate.
- Colorado ranks 4th in the league in away goals per game at 3.55 against the 2.59 per game they are surrendering.
- Right-winger Valeri Nichushkin missed Saturday’s game with an illness and is considered day-to-day.
New York Rangers
The Rangers rank 11th in the league for home goals per game at 3.35 over their first 20 games at MSG.
- New York are 24th in the league in shots per game at home and are being outshot at MSG 34.2 to 30.4.
- The Rangers have a plus-three goal differential at home, scoring 3.35 per game and allowing 3.20 per contest.
- Defensemen Libor Hajek is on the shelf after missing Saturday’s game with a knee injury.
Last Five Games
- Colorado has won two straight games after losing their last three games in December.
- The Avalanche are 3-2-1 in their last six games, but have scored 29 goals over that span.
- The Avalanche have won three of their last four games on the road, outscoring their opponents by a combined score of 18-9.
New York Rangers
- New York lost its final three games on a recent road trip by a score of 13-9.
- The Rangers have won two straight at MSG, scoring five goals in both games.
- New York has allowed three or more goals in five of their last six games.
Colorado Avalanche vs New York Rangers Odds