Philadelphia Phillies vs Kansas City Royals: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City, MO
When: Sunday, May 12th at 2:15 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Phillies TV/Radio: NBCSPH, WIP 94.1 FM. Royals TV/Radio: Fox Sports Kansas City, KCSP 610 AM.
The Phillies remain in first in the NL East with a 21-15 record through their first 36 games.
Away from Citizens Bank Park, Philly has been mediocre with a 7-8 record, scoring only 4.5 runs per game.
The Phillies currently have 6-1 odds to win the National League and 14-1 to take the World Series for the 2019 season.
Kansas City Royals
The Royals are rebuilding and their 13-25 record through 38 games show their commitment to grabbing a high draft pick next season.
Kansas City is 8-11 through their first 19 home games but have amassed 64 extra base hits in those contests.
The Royals are 1000-1 to win the AL Pennant and 2500-1 to win the 2019 World Series.
Phillies: Vince Velasquez (1-2, 3.86 ERA)
Velasquez has not gone reached the 5th inning in their last two starts, allowing eight earned runs in his last 7.2 innings.
In his last start, the Phillies starter gave up five earned runs in four innings.
- The Phillies right-hander has thrown six innings just once this season.
- On the road this year, Velasquez has posted a 3.32 ERA with 23 strikeouts in 21.2 innings.
- In 2019, Velasquez has struck out 32 in 30.1 innings for a superb K rate in his first six starts.
Royals: Jakob Junis (3-3, 5.52 ERA)
Junis has not been good this season posting a 5.52 ERA, 1.52 WHIP and a .298 average to opposing hitters.
The Royals starter has thrown at least five innings in seven out of his eight starts this year.
- In his last start against Houston, Junis gave up five earned runs on three home runs.
- The Royals starter has allowed eight homers in his 44 innings.
- In four home starts this season, Junis posted a 5.64 ERA with 18 strikeouts in 22.1 innings.
As good as the Phillies offense has been at home, the team has struggled mightily on the road.
On the road, the Phillies have scored just 68 runs compared to the 120 runs they have posted at home.
- Junis has only faced one Philly in his career, Jean Segura.
- SS Jean Segura is 0 for 6 against Junis with two strikeouts.
- Left-handed hitters are batting .326 against Junis in his eight 2019 starts.
Kansas City Royals
The Royals have hit just 16 home runs at home this season but have posted a whopping 13 triples to boost their slugging percentage.
Kansas City is hitting .249 and scoring five runs per game at home.
- Whit Merrifield is 0 for 3 in his only appearance against Velasquez in his career with two strikeouts.
- Alex Gordon is 3 for 6 with a homer and two RBI versus the Phillies righty.
- Billy Hamilton is 1 for 2 in his matchups against Velasquez with one RBI.
- OF Roman Quinn has a strained groin and needs a rehab assignment before returning from IL.
- RP David Robertson continues to have soreness in his right elbow and remains on 10-day IL.
- SS Scott Kingery is running as he strengthens his hamstring for a return soon from the 10-day IL.
Kansas City Royals
- RP Brian Flynn is out with elbow pain and currently sits on the 10-day IL.
- C Salvador Perez is out for 2019 with Tommy John surgery on his right elbow.
- 1B Lucas Duda has a strained back and wont return from the 10-day IL for another few weeks.
The odds for the Philadelphia Phillies vs Kansas City Royals will be updated as soon as they are made available by the sportsbooks. Until then, if you are in New Jersey you can bet on MLB at the following sportsbooks:
|Betting Site||Bonus||Rating||Bet Now|
|DraftKings||UP TO $500 FREE BET*||9.1/10|
|BetStars||UP TO $500 RISK FREE BET||9.2/10|
* 21+ | NJ only | If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call 1-800-GAMBLER