Washington Capitals vs New York Rangers: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch – Capitals vs Rangers
Where: Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York
When: Wednesday, November 20th at 8:00 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): NBCSN. Washington TV/Radio: NBC Sports Washington, WJFK 106.7 FM. New York TV/Radio: MSG, ESPN 98.7 FM.
Washington Capitals have posted points in 19 of their first 22 games on their way to a comfortable lead in the Eastern Conference.
Washington is five points ahead of the NY Islanders by five points, scoring 34 points in their first 22 games this season.
The Capitals stand at +600 to take the Eastern Conference and +1200 to win the Stanley Cup.
New York Rangers
New York is one of five teams in the East that haven’t posted 20 points on the season, as the Rangers have 18 points in 19 games.
The Rangers are 5-4-2 at home and have won two of their last three at MSG including an overtime win over Pittsburgh last week.
The Rangers stands at +5000 to take the Eastern Conference and +10000 to win the Stanley Cup.
Washington Capitals: Braden Holtby (10-1-3, 2.97 goals allowed)
Washington’s starting goalie, Holtby, ranks 32rd in the NHL among qualified goalies in GAA with 2.97 GAA.
- Five of Holtby’s last seven starts have ended in overtime or shootouts.
- Holtby has won six starts in a row, including a perfect November, where the netminder has posted a 93.4% save percentage and allowed ten goals in his last five games.
- Washington goalies are tied at 16th overall with a 90.4% save percentage on the season.
New York Rangers: Henrik Lundqvist (4-3-1, 3.23 goals allowed)
Lundqvist is ranked 46th among qualified goalies in the NHL in goals allowed per game (GAA) at 3.54 per contest.
- Lundqvist allowed four goals to Washington in their first matchup, a 5-2 loss for the Rangers.
- In November, Lundqvist is 2-2-1 for the month, posting a 90.4% save percentage, but has allowed four goals or more in his last three games, all losses.
- Rangers’ goalies are 20th overall in the NHL with a 90% save percentage to start the year.
Stats to Watch
Washington is ranked 2nd in the league as they are scoring 3.67 goals per road contest.
- The Capitals are posting 31.2 shots per game on the road, good for 11th overall in the NHL.
- Washington’s 23.3% power-play conversion rate is good for 9th in the NHL and 5th in the East.
- Carl Hagelin and Nic Dowd are both questionable for the game against the Rangers with injuries.
New York Rangers
The Rangers rank 10th in the NHL for home goals per game at 3.64, one spot behind their upcoming opponent, Washington.
- New York is averaging just 30.3 shots per game at MSG, ranking 25th overall in the NHL.
- The Rangers have scored 13 power-play goals in their first 18 games, good for 15th in the NHL.
- Leading scorer Mika Zibanejad and Kaapo Kakko are both day-to-day, and questionable for the game against the Capitals.
Last Five Games
- After starting the month with a six-game winning streak, the Caps are 2-1-1 in their last four games.
- The Capitals have won five of their last six games that have gone to overtime or shootout.
- The Capitals have won eight of their last nine games on the road.
New York Rangers
- New York has lost three of their last four games, including their last two, both on the road.
- The Rangers have won three of their last five at MSG, outscoring opponents 19-16 over that span.
- New York has played just three overtime games this season (1-2), posting their first win on Nov 12th against Pittsburgh in a 3-2 overtime thriller.
Washington Capitals vs New York Rangers – Game Odds