Golden Nugget NJ Betting Site and Mobile App Review
Take a look at our Golden Nugget review, we go through the sportsbook's betting site and app, bonuses, payment methods, and more.
$250 Free Bet
21+ | Terms and conditions apply
Sign Up with Golden Nugget and get a $250 Free Bet!
- Huge range of sports and bets
- Great usability on site and app
- Amazing live betting section
- Some of the best transaction options on the market
- No betting on NBA
- Too many casino advertisements on the website
- Some bonuses are restricted to casino only
Best DFS Options
The Golden Nugget NJ online sportsbook is a really interesting option for betting on sports legally in New Jersey.
The sportsbook operates out of the Golden Nugget Casino, which has been a fixture on New Jersey under various names since 1985.
In this review our experts walk you through everything Golden Nugget NJ has to offer, including:
- The app and website software.
- All the different sports and bets available.
- Special bonuses and promotions at Golden Nugget NJ.
We’ll tell you what we like about the site but we’ll also give you our honest opinion about the things we think could be improved.
This review is designed to give you a comprehensive and objective overview of one of the most interesting and upcoming sportsbooks in New Jersey. By the end you should have all the information you need to make up your own mind about whether to sign up.
Is It Legal to Bet on Sports at Golden Nugget NJ?
Yes, sports betting is 100% legal in New Jersey as long as you’re betting with a licensed online sportsbook like Golden Nugget NJ.
In May 2018, the Supreme Court removed the federal ban on sports betting that had been in effect since 1992. New Jersey wasted no time and legalized sports betting the following month.
The Garden State has really embraced the online element of sports betting, meaning that some of the biggest sportsbooks from around the world jumped at the chance to open up shop in New Jersey shortly after sports gambling was legalized.
Golden Nugget NJ officially opened for business on August 15th 2018.
Here are some of the main things to know about Golden Nugget NJ’s online sports betting site:
- Golden Nugget NJ has a full menu of betting on a wide variety of sports from around the world.
- The sportsbook is fully licenced and regulated by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.
- You can create an account and deposit funds from anywhere, but in order to place a bet at Golden Nugget NJ, you must be physically located in New Jersey.
- Golden Nugget is one of the most recognizable casinos in New Jersey over many years, meaning that the sportsbook comes with a big reputation to uphold.
We found loads to like about Golden Nugget NJ. The range of bets and sports is impressive, and the website is really easy to use.
We love the graphics for live betting, and we were impressed with the banking methods. The promotions for the casino games are great, pretty good for the sportsbook too.
The lack of NBA betting is a drawback, as we’ll soon explain.
You can read about all of these features in-depth as we go on.
Golden Nugget NJ Software and Mobile Sports Betting App
The Golden Nugget sportsbook shares both its app and website with its casino games and live dealer games so when you set up an account with with one you get automatic access to the others.
It’s nice to have access to both, but we would like to see more separation between them when you’re only using one service. For example, you often see advertisements or promotions for casino games when you are on the sportsbook part of the website.
- Our experts found the sportsbook to be intuitive and simple to use.
- On the homepage of the website you can find all the sports available listed neatly on a menu on the left side of the page.
- When you click through you can easily cycle between the various leagues and competitions.
- In our opinion, all users including beginners will find it easy to browse and find specific sports and matches.
- When you click into a game, all the possible bets are displayed along with subcategories at the top of the page to help you jump to the specific bet you are looking for
There is also a cool graphic that appears when you click into a game, with a theme that changes depending on the sport. During live betting, the graphic displays updates and stats from the game, which looks great.
Even better, when it is showing updates during a live game you can click on a little lock which makes the graphic stay fixed on the page while you look at other bets – meaning you can keep an eye on your live bet while you browse the rest of the site.
Placing a bet with Golden Nugget NJ is really easy too. Just click on a bet to add it to the bet slip which has the functionality for different bets built right into it.
We like the app a lot too, with the same features as the website effectively scaled down. The app is neat and tidy for the smaller screen: for example we like how the “Bet Slip” hides when not in use, but pops up if you click on the little icon. Take a look at our favorite sportsbook apps to see where Golden Nugget ranks.
Software and App Highlights
- Intuitive and logical design.
- Placing bets is also simple and logical, and beginner friendly.
- Great live betting platform complete with graphics and live stats, and the lock feature.
- You can choose the style of odds you prefer to appear site-wide.
- Mobile app works equally as well as the website.
Things to Improve
- We would love to see fewer advertisements, especially ones that direct users away from the sportsbook.
- We like that the live chat customer service option is permanently displayed on the toolbar at the bottom of the page, but we think it could be made smaller and neater. At the moment, it takes up a lot of room and blocks part of the page.
Bonuses and Deals at Golden Nugget NJ
Golden Nugget clearly wants to encourage users to get involved with both the sportsbook and the casino games. This means that the site offers bonuses and promotions for both.
In the opinion of our experts, the bonuses on offer are great for customers who intend to use both and still pretty good if you only intend to use the sportsbook.
Bonus money received in either the sportsbook or the casino can be transferred over, but only if certain conditions are met first, which is a bit frustrating.
Still, our experts did find plenty of interesting promotions. They tend to to change all the time, but here is an idea of what you can expect:
$50 Risk Free Bet
This is the dedicated welcome bonus for the sportsbook. Place your first bet of $50 and if it loses, Golden Nugget will refund your $50 in the form of a free bet. There are some conditions to be aware of.
First, it must be your first bet and must be worth exactly $50. Placing a first bet of more or less will mean you don’t qualify. Second, the bet must a straight bet (no multi-bets) and live betting does not qualify. There are no minimum odds though, which is nice.
This is a regular promotion running at Golden Nugget, where the odds of your parlay on qualifying games are boosted. The vast majority of top tier games qualify for this boost, which is determined by the number of legs in your parlay.
If you have 3 selections, your winnings are boosted by 3%, 5 selections means winnings are boosted by 5%, and so on.
Each selection must have odds of -145 or greater to qualify, and the boost is automatically applied when you pick qualifying games.
A similar regular promotion is the Golden Lines Daily Odds Boost, which picks certain bets to receive boosted odds.
$1,000 Deposit Match for Casino
This promotion is only for the casino, but will be relevant to some users. Basically, your first deposit will be matched by Golden Nugget up to a value of $1,000.
However, there are extensive wagering requirements with the bonus money before you can unlock it to use on sports bets. We would like to see this bonus expanded to include the sportsbook, so that placing sports bets with the bonus money would be eligible to unlock it.
Golden Rewards Club
This is a standard loyalty bonus. For every $100 you bet on sports you receive 1 point. You also get points when you play casino games, or make deposits.
When you have enough points you can exchange them for prizes like cash, bonus offers, or even physical prizes and offers in the Golden Nugget Casino in Atlantic City.
Kinds of Bets and Odds
When we judge a sportsbook we’re always keen to take a look at the sports you can bet on and the variety of different kinds of bets you can make.
We are happy to report that Golden Nugget NJ scores well in both of these categories.
- All of the most popular wagers are well available at the Golden Nugget NJ in a wide variety of sports.
- Matches in the biggest sports, like NFL, NHL and MLB generally have a very healthy selection of props on offer.
- Plenty of other types of bets available, including the most popular futures in major sports, and loads of multi-bet options.
- The live betting section is great, with loads of betting options and great graphics.
Next up we’re going to take a closer look at some of the different options.
The first kind of bets we look for are the same as the vast majority of bettors: moneylines, point spreads and totals.
Golden Nugget appreciates this, and makes sure these bets are the first ones visible when you click into a sport or a game. You can click through for more options, but the most popular bets are always the most prominent.
Our experts were impressed with the number of prop bets on offer at Golden Nugget NJ.
For most major games you should be able to bet on things like the margin of victory, the time that certain goals are scored, or even bets on specific players statistics.
The Golden Nugget might not be at the very top in terms of props, but the range of props on offer is definitely above average for online sportsbooks in New Jersey.
During the review our experts loved making live bets at Golden Nugget NJ. One minor criticism is that we would like the live button to be more prominent on the homepage.
When you click into the live area of the sportsbook, all the available in-play games are displayed, sorted by sport.
The layout is simple and effective.
Each live game has a themed interactive graphic where you can see live updates as they happen as well as loads of statistics from the game. You can click through for different stats which makes the graphic change.
You can also collapse the graphic if you’re not interested, or click the little lock to make it stick on the screen while you look at other bets. We’re big fans.
What Sports Can You Bet on at Golden Nugget NJ?
Our experts found that there was a super comprehensive list of sports available at Golden Nugget.
However, there is one glaring admission. The Golden Nugget Casino is owned by Tilman Fertitta, who is also the owner of the Houston Rockets. This means that Golden Nugget NJ is not legally allowed to accept any bets on NBA games, due to a legal conflict of interest.
To reiterate: You cannot bet on the NBA at Golden Nugget NJ.
This is a drawback, since the NBA is one of the most popular sports for bettors in the US. If you’re not too interested in basketball however, this won’t really matter to you.
Apart from that, chances are if you can think of a sport you will be able to place a bet on it, including minor leagues and college sports.
Here is a full list:
- NFL Football
- CFL Football
- NCAA Football
- NCAA Basketball
- WNBA Basketball
- Euroleague Basketball
- NHL Hockey
- NCAA Hockey
- MLB Baseball
- NCAA Baseball
- Soccer (MLS, Premier League, Champions League, La Liga, international and many more)
- Motor Racing
- Rugby Union
- Australian Rules
Bear in mind too, that new sporting markets open all the time depending on when different seasons start.
Options for Deposits and Withdrawals
Golden Nugget NJ is fully licenced and regulated in New Jersey so you can be sure that any transaction you carry out with the sportsbook is secure. As well as being safe, using legal sportsbooks generally means the transaction processes are all quick and convenient.
Our experts found that Golden Nugget has some of the best options for deposits and withdrawals of any of the sportsbooks in New Jersey.
- Online Bank Transfer
- PlayPlus Prepaid Card
- VIP Preferred Online Checking (ACH)
- Cash at Casino Cage
- Golden Nugget Atlantic City Safekeeping Transfer
- Wire Transfer
- PlayPlus Prepaid Card
- VIP Preferred Account Transfer (ACH)
- Cash at Casino Cage
- Golden Nugget Atlantic City Safekeeping Transfer
- Wire Transfer
Banking Methods Comparison
Golden Nugget NJ has loads of options for deposits and withdrawals, so you are sure to find one that suits you. We made this table to help you compare the pros and cons for all the options.
|Method||Deposit||Withdrawal||Processing Time||Minimum Deposit||Max Deposit||Fees|
|Online Bank Transfer||Yes||No||Instant||$10||$1,500 per day||Not from the sportsbook|
|Visa||Yes||No||Instant||$20||$25,000||Not from the sportsbook|
|Mastercard||Yes||No||Instant||$20||$25,000||Not from the sportsbook|
|PlayPlus Prepaid Card||Yes||Yes||Instant||$10||$25,000||No|
|VIP Preferred Online Checking/Transfer (ACH)||Yes||Yes||Instant for deposits, 2 business days for withdrawal||$20||$50,000||No|
|PayPal||Yes||Yes||Instant for deposits, up to 48 hours for withdrawal||$10||$5,000 per day||Not from the sportsbook|
|PayNearMe||Yes||No||Within 30 minutes||$10||$500 per day||Yes|
|Neteller||Yes||Yes||Instant||$10||$10,000||Not from the sportsbook|
|Golden Nugget Atlantic City Safekeeping Transfer||Yes||Yes||Instant||$10||$10,000||No|
|Cash at Casino Cage||Yes||Yes||Instant||$10||$100,000||No|
|Wire Transfer||Yes||Yes||5-7 business days||$50||$10,000||Not from the sportsbook|
|Check||No||Yes||2-3 weeks via mail||n/a||n/a||n/a|
Signup and Registration
Signing up for an account and getting started betting with Golden Nugget NJ is really easy.
Remember, you can sign up to Golden Nugget from anywhere but you must be physically in New Jersey in order to place a bet.
To sign up, just follow our simple guide:
- Click the red “Sign Up” button on the home screen of the website or app.
- The first step is to create you login details. You need to type your email address and choose a password. Make sure you choose something easy to remember.
- Next up is your personal details. Type your name, date of birth and gender. You will also have to give four digits from your SSN. This is used to verify your identity. Remember that all the information you provide is protected, and will not be shared with anyone else.
- Once you click “Next”, you will need to give your contact details. Type in your full address and cell number. You will also need to provide the answer to a security questions.
- Before you finish you have the chance to type in a bonus code, which lets you receive your welcome bonus. Make sure you check out our links before you sign up, to be sure you are getting the best bonus possible.
- Finally, you just need to check a couple of boxes confirming your age and identity and accepting the terms and conditions.
When you are successfully signed up you will be brought to the cashier, where you can deposit funds using one of the methods discussed above.
Our experts were happy with the signup process. We ran into no problems during our tests, and the whole thing only took a couple of minutes.
Security and Gaming Licence
Golden Nugget NJ is fully licenced and regulated by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.
This governing body makes sure that all registered sportsbooks conform to the highest standards of security in everything from the software to how it handles your personal information.
In the opinion of our experts, users should have no concerns about using the Golden Nugget site from a security perspective.
We are happy to say we found no security issues during our review so we feel very comfortable recommending this sportsbook.
Good customer support is really important in order for an online sportsbook to be successful in the long term. New users are always going to have questions, and it’s pretty common for even experienced bettors to need help at times too.
We were impressed with the support available at Golden Nugget. The “Help Centre” button is always clearly visible at the top of the page. When you click into it, you can find tons of helpful FAQs which you can search by keyword.
You can also call the casino, or send an email.
Best of all though is the live chat feature which is always available at the bottom of the screen. When we used the live chat to ask questions during our tests we were answered quickly and effectively by the Golden Nugget NJ support team.
Things Golden Nugget NJ is Doing Right
Our experts came back with loads of stuff they liked about Golden Nugget. The casino has a trusted reputation in New Jersey already, so we had high expectations for its online sportsbook.
We dug into every nook and cranny of Golden Nugget NJ and here are the highlights our experts came back with:
- The range of bets and sports are great. Unless you are looking for some extremely obscure types of bets, you will find more than enough at Golden Nugget NJ to keep you interested.
- Both the website and the app are super easy to use. We found them to be intuitive and efficient, and equally effective for beginners as for experts.
- We love the live betting section. There are plenty of bets available and the graphics showing live updates really elevate the section to the next level.
- We like the regular boosted odds. Little touches like that can really make a difference in the long run.
- The transaction options are up there with the very best we have come across, with loads of ways to get money in and out of your account easily.
Things Golden Nugget Could Work On
We haven’t come across a flawless sportsbook yet, and our experts identified a couple of areas that they think Golden Nugget could improve:
- The lack of betting on NBA is a big deficiency. Since it is a legal requirement as the owner of the sportsbook also owns the Houston Rockets, perhaps it’s not fair to include this as an improvement – but in our opinion it is the biggest weakness of Golden Nugget NJ site and app by far.
- We like the website, but we could do without the advertisements for casino games all over the page.
- We would like the full range of promotions and deposit bonuses available for both the casino and sportsbook. At the moment, some bonuses (such as a valuable deposit bonus) are restricted to the casino only.
Golden Nugget NJ Company History
The sportsbook finds its home at the Golden Nugget Casino in Atlantic City, one of the most recognizable complexes in New Jersey.
The casino originally opened way back in 1985 as Trump’s Castle, when it was owned by a certain future American president. The property went through a number of name changes over the years, before eventually being sold to Landry’s entertainment corporation in 2011.
The casino was renovated and rebranded as the Golden Nugget. In the following years it moved into the world of online gambling with great success, becoming one of the most successful online casinos in the US.
When sportsbetting was being legalized in New Jersey in May 2018, it was clear the Golden Nugget would look to move into the burgeoning industry. However, the ownership of Tilman Fertitta threw a spanner in the works.
Since the owner of the casino also owned the Houston Rockets, it looked for a while that he would not be able to legally operate a sportsbook. However, when the bill finally came it allowed Golden Nugget NJ to come into operation, but without taking bets on the NBA.
The sportsbook opened for business in August 2018.
The Final Word on Golden Nugget NJ
There are a lot of options out there for legal online sportsbooks in New Jersey. Often it is the small differences that help users determine which one to choose.
With the one big exception of no NBA betting, our experts found no real weaknesses in the Golden Nugget’s online betting site. The website and app both work really well. The odds and betting lines are competitive with the best sportsbook around.
The range of bets is great – from simple bets like moneylines and spreads to interesting props and exotics. The live betting section is second to none, with the interactive graphics really making Golden Nugget stand out from the crowd.
The bonuses and promotions are competitive – even if we would like to see the sportsbook bonuses to be on par with those offered for the casino games.
The customer service is good, and the options for deposits and withdrawals might actually be the best in New Jersey.
In terms of other downsides, there really aren’t many.
Roll back on some of the advertisements on the website and stop trying to direct us to casino games while on the sportsbook, and we would be pretty content.
Overall, we are happy to recommend Golden Nugget NJ as one of the top sportsbooks in New Jersey. If you like the sound of our review, check out our links before you sign up to get the best bonus possible.
Is Golden Nugget NJ legal to bet with?
Yes. Golden Nugget is licenced and regulated by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, and totally legal to use provided you are in New Jersey.
Can you bet on mobile with Golden Nugget NJ?
Yes. The mobile app is shared with casino games, and it can be downloaded on iOS or Android from app stores or from the Golden Nugget NJ website.
Do you have to be in New Jersey to bet with Golden Nugget NJ?
Yes. You can set up your account from anywhere, but you must be physically located in New Jersey to place your bets.
Does Golden Nugget NJ offer a no deposit bonus or free bets?
Yes, usually. The bonuses and promotions change all the time, but you can be pretty sure there will always be some kind of welcome bonus for new users.
Does Golden Nugget NJ have good odds?
Yes. We found that the odds and lines at Golden Nugget were competitive with other sportsbooks in New Jersey.