Baltimore Orioles vs New York Yankees: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Yankee Stadium, New York City, NY
When: Thursday, March 28th at 1:05 EST
How (TV/Radio): ESPN, Orioles Radio: WJZ/105.7FM, Yankees Radio: WFAN
Baltimore continues their rebuild into 2019 with a young and inexperienced roster. Last season, the Orioles were 19-62 away from Camden Yards.
Most experts are predicting a last-place finish in the AL East for the Orioles and a win total that hovers around 60 games for the year.
Vegas has the Orioles with a win total of just 59 and 100-1 odds to win the American League.
New York Yankees
After an offseason that saw Yankees GM Brian Cashman add significant help to the bullpen and rotation plus much-needed depth to the lineup, New York is one of the top favorites to win the American League and return to the World Series for the first time since their 2009 world championship.
New York is +225 to win the AL, 5-1 to win the World Series and have a win total of 96.5 for this season.
Orioles: Andrew Cashner
2019 marks Andrew Cashners second season in Baltimore.
The pitchers 2018 season for the Orioles was a rocky one as the Texas-native posted a plus-5 ERA for the second time in his last three seasons.
Despite his size, the six-foot, six-inch right hander only struck out 99 batters in 153 innings.
- In 2018, Cashner posted a 5.29 ERA and 1.58 WHIP.
- Last season, right-handed hitters had a .301 batting average against Cashner.
- Cashner struck out just 5.82 batters per nine innings pitched.
Yankees: Masahiro Tanaka
Masahiro Tanaka fills in for the previously announced Opening Day starter, Luis Severino, who is sidelined with rotator cuff inflammation.
“(Masahiro) has clearly shown through his life really that he’s really good in the big spot,” said Yankees manager Aaron Boone.
The assignment against the Orioles with mark Tanakas 4th opening day start for the Yankees.
New York has lost all three of those previous Tanaka opening day starts.
- Tanaka posted his fourth straight season with over 150 innings pitched.
- In 2018, Tanaka had a 4.09 ERA at Yankee Stadium, allowing 9 home runs and a .268 average to opposing hitters.
- Despite being a right-handed pitcher, Tanaka held lefties to a .232 average with just 8 home runs allowed.
Although the Orioles hit 188 home runs last season, Baltimore only scored 622 runs which placed them 27th overall in MLB.
The Birds hit .239 has a team in 2018, putting them 25th overall in MLB.
- 1B Chris Davis is 7 for 31 lifetime against Tanaka, with 1 career home run against the righty.
- Trey Mancini has one home run against Tanaka in 14 career at-bats.
- Jonathan Villar has limited experience against Tanaka with one hit in three career at-bats.
New York Yankees
The Bronx Bombers earned the nickname last season as the Yankees hit 267 home runs to lead all of baseball.
Despite hitting a league average .249 in 2018, the Yankees slugged .451, placing second behind Boston for the best in MLB.
- Giancarlo Stanton is just 2 for 19 lifetime against Cashner, with no home runs.
- Aaron Judge has only two hits in 11 career at-bats against Cashner, although one hit was a solo home run.
- Five time All-Star SS Troy Tulowitzki makes his Yankees debut but is only 3 for 18 against Cashner in his 14-year career.
- Scheduled opening day starter Alex Cobb will miss his start due to a groin pull.
- The Orioles released veteran SS Alcides Escobar and OF Eric Young Jr.
- Top prospects DJ Stewart and Austin Hays both failed to make the club out of spring training.
New York Yankees
- OF Aaron Hicks is out with an injured back.
- SP Luis Severino will miss his scheduled opening day start with rotator cuff inflammation.
- RP Dellin Betances will miss time with a right shoulder impingement.
888Sport is currently offering the following moneyline odds:
Baltimore Orioles: +310
New York Yankees: -420