Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Yankee Stadium, New York City, NY
When: Tuesday, April 16th at 6:35 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): Red Sox TV/Radio: NESN, WEEI, 93.7 FM. Yankees TV/Radio: YES, WFAN 101.9FM.
Boston Red Sox (6-10)
The Red Sox have been dreadful over their first sixteen games this season. The 2018 World Series Champs are 5-5 in their last ten games.
The Red Sox have scored 73 runs this season against the 98 runs the pitching staff has given up for a -25 run differential.
The Red Sox currently have 4-1 odds to win the American League and are 8-1 to win the World Series in 2019.
New York Yankees (6-9)
The Yankees have struggled as badly as the Red Sox, but injuries are to blame for New York’s slow start.
The Yankees are 4-6 through their last ten games but have scored 73 runs this season against the 63 given up by the pitchers for a +10 run differential.
At this stage, the Yankees hold a +325 odds to win the American League, while for the World Series 2019 season, 7-1.
Red Sox: Chris Sale (0-3, 9.00 ERA)
Sale continues to pitch under extreme suspicion of injury as the left-hander has seen his velocity drop off a cliff in 2019.
In his last start, Sale threw just four innings but gave up seven hits and five earned runs.
He did force the Blue Jays to hit into ten ground ball out against six fly ball outs on April 9th.
- Sales strikeout rate is abysmal with eight Ks in 13 innings pitched.
- The Red Sox ace has allowed opposing batters to hit .308 this season, his career mark is .218.
- Sales average fastball velocity was 91.8 mph against the Blue Jays.
Yankees: James Paxton (1-2, 6.00 ERA)
The new Yankees starter hasn’t been very reliable in his last two starts, allowing nine earned runs over 9.1 innings.
Paxton has struck out 19 batters over 15 total innings in 2019, so theres hope that his poor luck against hitters will turn around.
- Hitters are batting .328 this season against Paxton. For his career, the average stands at .240.
- The Yankees lefty has allowed 20 hits over the 15 innings in 2019.
- Paxton has allowed three home runs in 2019, a bit higher than his average of one homer for every 10.5 innings pitched in his career.
Boston Red Sox
The Red Sox lineup has scored 4.6 runs per game in 2019, almost a full run lower than the 2018 average of 5.4.
In the first inning this season, the Red Sox have only hit .217, with one homer and seven total runs.
- SS Xander Bogaerts is 2 for 8 against Paxton in his career, with a homer and three RBIs.
- DH J.D. Martinez is 4 for 8 with a double and three singles against the Yankees starter.
- OF Mookie Betts is 3 for 12 lifetime against the left-hander with one double.
New York Yankees
The Yankees have scored 4.87 runs per game this season, slightly lower than the 5.25 runs per contest they averaged in 2018.
In the first inning this season, the Yankees are hitting .236, with four homers and nine runs scored.
- OF Aaron Judge is 3 for 18 in his career against Sale, with one home run.
- OF Brett Gardner is 4 for 25 lifetime against the Red Sox lefty, with 10 strikeouts.
- 2B Gleyber Torres is 0 for 3 in his career against the Red Sox starter.
Boston Red Sox
- SS Brock Holt is out for a few more days with a scratched cornea.
- RP Ryan Brasier appears to have won the closer role for manager Alex Cora.
- RP Brian Johnson is on the 10-day IL with elbow inflammation.
New York Yankees
- C Gary Sanchez has hit the 10-day IL with a strained calf.
- OF Giancarlo Stanton is on the IL with a biceps strain and does not have a return date.
- RP Dellin Betances has been shut down for three more weeks with shoulder inflammation.
You can bet on MLB games if you reside in New Jersey at one of the following sportsbooks:
|Sportsbook||Boston Red Sox||New York Yankees||Link|
* 21+ | NJ only | If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call 1-800-GAMBLER