World Series 2019 Game 2: Washington Nationals vs Houston Astros - Predictions & Odds
Final score: Astros 4, Nationals 2.
How to Watch Washington Nationals vs Houston Astros
Where: Minute Maid Park, Houston, TX.
When: Wednesday, October 23rd at 8:08 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): National TV: Fox. Nationals Radio: WJFK/106.7 FM. Astros Radio: KBME 790 AM.
— Houston Astros (@astros) October 23, 2019
The Nationals surprised the Houston crowd by scoring five runs off Gerrit Cole, taking Game 1 of the World Series by the score of 5-4.
Washington has a 59% chance to win the World Series title according to FiveThirtyEight.
The Nationals are +100 to take the World Series after their Game 1 win.
The Astros are in a quick 1-0 hole as they lose home-field in the World Series with their Game 1 loss to the Nationals.
Houston has a 41% probability to win the World Series title according to Five ThirtyEight.
The Astros remain the favorites but stand at -118 to take the World Series.
Check out also: Who Will Win the 2019 World Series?
Houston Astros: Justin Verlander
Verlander had a rough first inning in his last start against the Yankees in the ALCS, but stayed strong, throwing seven innings with the last six being scoreless.
- In the postseason, Verlander’s ERA is 3.70 as he’s allowed 26 baserunners in 24.1 innings.
- The Astros’ right-hander has struck out 29 in his last 24.1 innings.
- In his two postseason starts at Minute Maid Park, Verlander has thrown 13.2 innings and allowed just two earned runs.
Nationals: Stephen Strasburg
Strasburg has been terrific in the 2019 postseason, throwing 22 innings, allowing just four runs, while striking out 33 over his four appearances.
- In his only start of the NLCS, Strasburg threw seven innings of one-hit baseball with 12 strikeouts.
- In Strasburg’s two road starts of this postseason, he allowed four runs in his 12 innings to the Dodgers in the NLDS.
- Strasburg has thrown 41 innings in his postseason career, allowing just five earned runs for a 1.10 ERA. He has struck out 57 batters over his seven postseason appearances.
The Astros will attempt to rebound in Game 2 against Strasburg, a pitcher that most on the roster have faced just once in their career.
- 2B Jose Altuve is 2 for 5 against Strasburg with one strikeout.
- OF George Springer, who almost homered twice in Game 1 is 0 for 3 in his lone appearance against the right-hander.
- 3B Alex Bregman is 2 for 3 lifetime against the Nats’ starter with a double.
The Nationals’ offense, led by Juan Soto, piled five runs on Astros’ ace Gerrit Cole, giving him his first loss in over five months with the Game 1 5-4 victory.
- Unlike Strasburg versus Astros hitters, Verlander has faced six hitters on the Nationals more than 20 times at the plate.
- 2B Asdrubal Cabrera is 21 for 76 off Verlander with three homers and 11 RBI.
- OF Adam Eaton is 7 for 31 with two doubles and one RBI in his career off the Astros’ righty.
Bet on Fantasy Baseball With These Sportsbooks
- The Astros will start Zack Greinke in Game 3 in Washington.
- RP Ryan Pressly appeared to be okay after hurting his knee in Game 6 of the ALCS as he warmed up in the later innings of Game 1.
- Houston, once again, failed to score runners on base, going 3-12 in Game 1 of the World Series, with one hit coming as an infield single by Carlos Correa.
- SP Patrick Corbin is likely to start Game 3 for the Nationals, but he did throw one scoreless inning in Game 1.
- If Corbin doesn’t start Game 3, then expect Anibal Sanchez to get the start.
- Teams that won Game 1 have won 18 of the last 22 World Series.
Washington Nationals vs Houston Astros Game 2 – Predictions
The Astros are in familiar territory after a Game 1 loss in the World Series. Houston lost the first game of the ALCS to the Yankees 7-0, before coming back and winning four of the next five games to defeat New York.
Houston continues to struggle with runners in scoring position and it doesn’t get easier as they face a hot Strasburg, who has pitched very well in the postseason in his career.
If the Astros’ bats can’t get going and the Nationals once again find a timely home run, this game could get very interesting. But I think Verlander will hold the Nationals in check and the Astros will squeak out enough runs to even the series and take it back to Washington.
Game 2 Prediction: Final score – Astros 4, Nationals 2.
Game Odds – Washington Nationals vs Houston Astros