ALCS Game 5: Houston Astros vs New York Yankees: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
The Astros will head to the World Series where they will be heavy favorites over the Nationals. Game 5 prediction: Astros 8, Yankees 3.
How to Watch
Where: Yankee Stadium, New York City, NY
When: Friday, October 18th, 2019 at 7:08 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): National TV: FS1 Astros TV/Radio: AT&T SportsNet, 850 AM. Yankees TV/Radio: YES, WFAN 101.9FM.
The Astros definitely have the momentum after a 8-3 win in Game 4 gave Houston a 3-1 lead in the best-of-seven ALCS.
Houston has a 90% probability to win the ALCS and a 54% chance to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty Eight.
The Astros are currently sitting at -195 to take the World Series.
New York Yankees
New York has looked hapless at home, losing Game 3 and 4 by the combined score of 12-4. To make the World Series, the Yankees will have to win games facing Astros’ aces Justin Verlander and Gerrit Cole.
New York has a 10% probability to win the ALCS and a 6% chance to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty Eight.
The Yankees have fallen to +2500 to take the World Series.
New Users Only. Min. $5 Deposit. Eligibility restrictions apply. See DraftKings.com for details.
- 20K public contests per day
- Play against friends privately
- Win even if you don't finish 1st
Houston Astros: Justin Verlander
Justin Verlander will take the mound in Game 5 to seal the series win for Houston.
- In Game 2, Verlander allowed two earned runs over 6.2 innings and 109 pitches.
- Verlander struck out seven Yankees in Game 2 and walked just two batters.
- Verlander was assisted by the rainout day on Thursday, pushing Game 5 back to regular rest for the right-hander.
New York Yankees: James Paxton
Paxton gets the call to help save the Yankees season, but the big lefty will have to pitch better than his lousy Game 2 performance in Houston.
- Paxton threw just 2.1 innings in Game 2, allowing only one earned run but put on six baserunners in his start.
- The Yankees’ lefty threw 51 pitches before giving way to a relief appearance by Chad Green.
- Expect New York manager Aaron Boone to have a short leash with Paxton but with a bullpen that’s already thrown a lot of innings in the series, the lefty might get a chance to work out of a jam or two.
The Astros offense has outscored the Yankees lineup 15-6 in their three ALCS wins after losing Game 1 7-0.
- Carlos Correa has hit two big homers in this series after winning Game 2 with a solo blast, the young shortstop hit a 3-run homer in the 6th inning to push the team ahead 6-1.
- OF George Springer hit a huge 3-run homer in the 3rd inning of Game 4 but for the playoffs, he is hitting just .118.
- 3B Alex Bregman went 1 for 4 in the 8-3 Astros victory but he’s just batting .182 in the postseason for Houston.
New York Yankees
After scoring 30 runs in their first four playoff games this postseason, the Yankees have scored six runs in their last three contests.
- Midseason trade acquisition Edwin Encarnacion is hitting .067 in the postseason for the Yankees.
- The Yankees left 10 men on base, going 0 for 7 with runners in scoring position in Game 5 against Houston.
- 1B DJ LeMahieu is hitting .412 this postseason and was 2 for 4 in Game 4, but had two big errors in the field that contributed to runs.
- The Astros will face the Washington Nationals in the World Series if they win one more game in the ALCS.
- Yankees fans were warned after heckling Zack Greinke in his warm up, with one fan being ejected for offensive language. Manager A.J. Hinch has warned that he will take the Astros off the field if fans throw items onto the field at his players.
- If the Astros have to play a game 6, then SP Jose Urquidy could get the call in a bullpen game.
New York Yankees
- If a Game 6 is needed in Houston, expect the Yankees to start JA Happ in a bullpen game.
- Yankees expect that C.C. Sabathia won’t play the remainder of the ALCS with a knee injury.
- OF Giancarlo Stanton did not play with a quad injury in Game 4 but the expectation is for him to DH in Game 5 for New York.
Game 5 Prediction
With Justin Verlander on the hill with full rest for Game 5, the Yankees are in for a battle that they won’t be able to win. Expect the Astros to get to Paxton quickly and score several runs on him before his night is over.
The Astros will head to the World Series where they will be heavy favorites over the Nationals.
Game 5 Prediction: Astros 8, Yankees 3
ALCS Game 5 Odds – Houston Astros vs New York Yankees