ALCS Game 1: New York Yankees vs Houston Astros - Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
This game is going to be a wild one as there will be a ton of offensive fireworks but the Astros will pull out a huge Game 1 victory. Final score: Astros 7, Yankees 5.
How to Watch New York Yankees vs Houston Astros
Where: Minute Maid Field, Houston, Texas
When: Saturday, October 12th, 2019 at 8:08 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): National TV: FOX Astros TV/Radio: AT&T SportsNet, 850 AM. Yankees TV/Radio: YES, WFAN 101.9FM.
2017, 2018, 2019.
— Houston Astros (@astros) October 11, 2019
The Astros were pressed in their ALDS against the Rays, but two historic pitching performances by Gerrit Cole propelled Houston to a Game 5 win on Thursday night.
Houston has a 54% probability to win the NLCS and a 36% chance to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty-Eight.
The Astros have -177 odds to win the NL and are +115 to take the World Series.
New York Yankees
The Yankees were dominant in their three-game sweep of the Twins, outscoring Minnesota 23-7.
New York has a 46% probability to win the NLCS and a 29% chance to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty-Eight.
The Yankees have +150 odds to win the NL and are +250 to take the World Series.
Read also: “Who Will Win the 2019 World Series?”
Astros: Zack Greinke
The Astros’ righty was terrible in his Game 3 start on the road to the Rays, a 10-3 loss for the Astros.
- In Game 3, Greinke allowed six runs behind three homers in 3.2 innings.
- The righty threw just 61 pitches in the loss to the Rays and will be pitching on regular rest.
- Greinke faced the Yankees twice this season as a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks, allowing three earned runs over 12.2 innings in two starts.
Yankees: Masahiro Tanaka
The Yankees’ starter was solid in his Game 2 ALDS start, allowing just one earned run while striking out seven batters in an 8-2 Yankees victory.
- Tanaka has struck out 28 hitters in his last 30 innings.
- The righty has gone two straight starts without allowing a home run.
- Tanaka faced Houston twice this season, going six innings in both starts as he allowed just three total runs in those 12 innings.
New Users Only. Min. $5 Deposit. Eligibility restrictions apply. See DraftKings.com for details.
- 20K public contests per day
- Play against friends privately
- Win even if you don't finish 1st
New York Yankees
The Yankees had the best scoring road offense in baseball this season, averaging well over six runs per contest away from Yankee Stadium.
- OF Aaron Hicks is 1 for 6 against Greinke with a single and two strikeouts.
- 1B Edwin Encarnacion is 1 for 7 versus Greinke with three homers and six RBI.
- OF Giancarlo Stanton is 3 for 18 with one homer and two RBI against the Houston starter.
The Astros offense outscored the Tampa Bay Rays at Minute Maid Park, 15-4, over their three ALDS wins.
- 2B Jose Altuve is 6 for 20 against Tanaka with two solo homers in his career.
- 3B Alex Bregman is 4 for 9 with one homer and four RBI against the Yankees’ right-hander.
- OF Michael Brantley is 5 for 15 against Tanaka with two doubles and one homer.
New York Yankees
- SP Masahiro Tanaka and Luis Severino are slated to pitch the opening two games of this ALCS.
- SP C.C. Sabathia does not appear to be ready for the ALCS roster and will sit out the series with an injury.
- OF Aaron Hicks is being evaluated and could start Game 1 if deemed healthy.
- If Game 4 is not a bullpen game for the Astros, look for rookie Jose Urquidy to take the hill.
- SP Brad Peacock might be added to the ALCS roster to help in a bullpen Game 4 scenario.
- SP Gerrit Cole allowed just six hits and two earned runs in 15.2 innings while striking out a staggering 23 batters over his two ALDS starts.
Game and Series Prediction
For Game 1, I trust that Houston starter Zack Greinke will rebound from his terrible performance in Game 3 of the ALDS against Tampa Bay. That said, this game is going to be a wild one as there will be a ton of offensive fireworks but the Astros will pull out a huge Game 1 victory.
For the series, the Astros’ advantages at home will be too much for the Yankees to overcome as Houston wins the ALCS in six games.
Game 1 Prediction: Final score – Astros 7, Yankees 5.
Series Prediction: Astros in six.
Game Odds ALCS Game 1 -New York Yankees vs Houston Astros
The odds for this game will be updated as soon as they are made available by the sportsbooks. Find out “Where is Online Sports Betting Legal in the USA?” and head to our sportsbooks reviews to find the best NJ sportsbook.