NLCS Game 1: Washington Nationals vs St. Louis Cardinals: Predictions, Odds and Roster Notes
How to Watch
Where: Busch Stadium, St. Louis, Missouri.
When: Wednesday, October 11th at 8:08 PM EST
How (TV/Radio): National TV: TBS. Nationals TV/Radio: MASN, WJFK/106.7 FM. Cardinals TV/Radio: Fox Sports Midwest, KMOX 1120 AM.
The Nationals made it to the NLCS for the first time in franchise history since 1981 when the club was the Montreal Expos after winning a dramatic Game 5 over the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday night.
Washington has a 58% probability to win the NLCS and a 22% chance to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty Eight.
The Nationals have -125 odds to win the NL and are +450 to take the World Series.
St. Louis Cardinals
The Cardinals posted 10 runs in the first inning of Game 5 of NLDS against the Atlanta Braves, a new MLB postseason record, on their way to a 13-1 series-clinching victory.
St. Louis has a 42% probability to win the NLCS and a 13% chance to win the World Series title according to Five Thirty Eight.
The Cardinals have +105 odds to win the National League and +475 to take the World Series crown.
New Users Only. Min. $5 Deposit. Eligibility restrictions apply. See DraftKings.com for details.
- 20K public contests per day
- Play against friends privately
- Win even if you don't finish 1st
Nationals: Anibal Sanchez
Sanchez made one appearance in the NLDS against the Dodgers and pitched well although the Nats lost his Game 3 start by the score of 10-4.
- In his last start, Sanchez allowed one run in five innings with nine strikeouts in the Game 3 NLDS loss to Los Angeles.
- The Nats’ righty made one start this season against the Cardinals on April 30th.
- In the home start versus St. Louis, Sanchez allowed three earned runs in five innings, but struck out seven hitters.
St. Louis Cardinals: Miles Mikolas
The 31-year old righty was on the mound for two of the Cardinals three wins in the five-game NLDS versus Atlanta.
- In his two NLDS appearances, Mikolas threw six innings, allowing one earned run but struck out just two hitters.
- The Cards’ Game 1 starter faced the Nationals on September 17th and allowed three runs in six innings in a 6-2 loss.
- Mikolas won his start against the Braves in Game 1 of the NLDS 7-6.
The Nationals offense outscored the Dodgers 13-4 in Games 4 and 5 for the series win. In their six playoff games this season, the Nationals are even with their opponents scoring 25 runs and allowing 25 runs.
- 2B Howie Kendrick is 8 for 11 against Mikolas with one homer and two RBI.
- OF Juan Soto is 3 for 8 against the Cards’ righty with one homer and two RBI.
- 3B Anthony Rendon is 4 for 9 lifetime with one double versus Mikolas.
St. Louis Cardinals
The Cardinals outscored the Braves 18-5 in the final two games of the series and 31-17 for the five-game set.
- OF Marcell Ozuna is 0 for 9 off the Nats’ Game 1 starter with two strikeouts.
- OF Dexter Fowler is 3 for 12 against Sanchez in his career with six strikeouts.
- 1B Paul Goldschmidt is 4 for 13 versus the right-hander, all singles with two strikeouts.
- SP Max Scherzer is the likely Game 2 starter for the Nationals.
- C Kurt Suzuki could miss the NLCS after possibly sustaining a concussion in Game 5.
- OF Victor Robles’ hamstring is still sore and he could miss the NLCS due to the injury.
St. Louis Cardinals
- SP Adam Wainwright will start Game 2 of the NLCS, with Jack Flaherty scheduled for Game 3.
- RP Carlos Martinez could be on a short leash as closer after struggling early in the NLDS.
- 1B Paul Goldschmidt hit .429 in the NLDS with four doubles and two homers.
Game & Series Prediction
For Game 1, I like the success that Nationals hitters have had on Mikolas in their careers and Washington, despite the travel, will be riding high on the momentum of their dramatic Game 5 win over the Dodgers.
For the series, the Nationals will take care of business with timely hitting and dominant pitching, putting the Cardinals away in six games.
Game 1 Prediction
Nationals 6, Cardinals 3
Nationals in six
Nationals vs Cardinals: Game Odds
|Sportsbook||WAS Nationals||STL Cardinals|
|Sportsbook||Over 8||Under 8|
|Sportsbook||WAS Nationals -1.5||STL Cardinals +1.5|